Pom juice.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like a great deal. Anyone have a link to a good recipe using the POM juice?

Rick

Hi Rick - and welcome.
Pomegranate wine is quite lovely. I don't have a recipe but if you check the sugar content (SG) and boost it to about 1.090 with sugar (or if the juice is so inexpensive by freezing a bottle or two and allowing to thaw while collecting the first 1/3 of the juice you will have doubled the sugar and flavor content (the 2/3 remaining is essentially frozen water)). I would add some nutrient (Fermaid O ) and pitch 71B. You might want to taste this before bottling to check to make sure that it has enough acidity to meet your needs. It should be sufficiently acidic (perhaps abundantly acidic) but if it isn't I would add citric acid or lemon juice. Pomegranate typically is full of tannin but , again if this juice is tannin poor you might want to add some oak chips for a couple of weeks while in the secondary. I might add 5 cubes for every gallon of wine. Good luck

My recipe follows the Bernardsmith's post very closely. With the Pom Wonderful, I do just use the straight juice, but I do add a can of frozen white grape concentrate per gallon. At finishing, I also add the condensed portion of two frozen Pom jugs and give additional time for the second clearing.

Do you happen to know the sugar content of POM per liter or quart or serving (I assume a serving is 8 fl oz)? My pomegranate juice has a gravity of 1.032 and I was wondering if POM is significantly higher (or not).. Thanks

Back