Polyurethane Smell

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric W

Junior
Reaction score
Hello,

I had made a cabinet to hold my 2 - 33 gallon Speidel fermenters during primary fermenation. I completed the cabinet about 5 weeks ago, sanded and stained/poly to finish. There is still a slight smell to the cabinet and have a little concern about the smell penetrating the juice. Part of me feels that the lack of oxygen in the fermenters are enough to keep any outside smell out but I wanted to hear some opinions and thoughts.

it would be very cumbersome to move the cabinet hence the post.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Eric

Attachments

• A8508A47-F7E3-4FAF-AB0D-7018B8F36CBF.jpeg
    A8508A47-F7E3-4FAF-AB0D-7018B8F36CBF.jpeg
    57.3 KB · Views: 16
Hello,

I had made a cabinet to hold my 2 - 33 gallon Speidel fermenters during primary fermenation. I completed the cabinet about 5 weeks ago, sanded and stained/poly to finish. There is still a slight smell to the cabinet and have a little concern about the smell penetrating the juice. Part of me feels that the lack of oxygen in the fermenters are enough to keep any outside smell out but I wanted to hear some opinions and thoughts.

it would be very cumbersome to move the cabinet hence the post.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Eric
I wouldn’t use it, read too much about VOC’s and smells leaching into wine from wood finishes. My wine room is unfinished mahogany for that reason.

Thank you for the reply. Going to take the cabinet out tonight and do some heavy sanding - hopefully I’m successful removing any lingering odors. If not, I’ll have to leave the cabinet out this year.

Thank you,

Eric

Latest posts

Back