Polypropylene fermenters

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PAFruitWines

Reaction score
Hi. Haven’t been making wine for a while and I’m ready to get back into it. I’m seeing some very inexpensive polypropylene fermenters and I’m not sure about them. A forum search didn’t round up much. Anyone using poly? Any reason not to?

Thanks!

You are looking at fermenters so you can assume they were manufactured with food grade materials.
Industry uses a lot of polypropylene and HDPE pallet sized equipment. cost effective, easy to clean, fair with strong flavors as garlic, fairly thick wall so vapor penetration is acceptable, chemical resistant

If you use a vacuum pump to transfer or bottle, you might want to make sure they can take the vacuum without collapse.

Thanks for the replies. It’s been a while since I bought any equipment. PET was becoming popular and creating a lot of debate. I do fruit wines and DB. I want to use a bucket with a spigot to ferment, then rack to a smaller one to clear, then rack to a carboy to age. Trying to make a simple process and these buckets will help and are reasonably priced.

Latest posts

Back