Plum wine

Discussion in 'Country Fruit Winemaking' started by Fuzzyface, Jul 12, 2018.

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating using the link above.
  1. Fuzzyface

Fuzzyface Junior

What are the pros and cons for leaving the pits in plums during fermantation?

2. dralarms

dralarms Overboard as usual Staff Member Super Moderator

I would not. I’d cut them in 1/2 and yank the pit out and freeze them them. Then thaw in a bucket with plenty of pectic enzyme to aid in the breakdown of the fruit

Mismost likes this.
  3. dralarms

Oh, and welcome to winemakingtalk

4. Fuzzyface

Fuzzyface Junior

Thanks, I have always pitted the plums in the past, but a thread indicated that leaving the pits in for the fermentation added a slight almond flavor. A thought. Getting ready to make a batch of Santa Rosa plums that are just over ripe. Yummmmm.

5. Fuzzyface

Fuzzyface Junior

What I was looking for are the pros and cons, not just a recommendation. Anyone had experience either way and why?

6. dralarms

Nope, the only fruit I leave the “seeds” in is apple or grape If they have them. Sorry I couldn’t be more help

7. Scooter68

Scooter68 Old Enough

Think what you are asking about would be a very unusual approach. Perhaps someone has tried it but with all large pitted fruit those stones/pits are always best removed.

One con comes to mind very easily - The off flavors a few cracked/opened stones/pits could generate would not do you wine ANY good.

Take a plum pit and crack it open and see how it tastes. Magnifiy that flavor and imagine that in your wine - NOT good.

For an almond flavor add thin sliced almonds or almond extract. A lot safer and controlled approach.

Jennifer Patterson likes this.
  8. Slappy

Slappy Member

As per the above. Bitterness and off flavors. Same goes for all stone fruits from my research. I haven't really heard of any pros apart from one recipe I saw for cherry wine that said a few stray pits won't hurt it but may be a bit bitter and take more time to age before drinking. If you have time to make wine you should have time to pit the fruit. Agree it can be a tedious job though, at least plums etc are easier than cherries.

Scooter68 likes this.
  9. Scooter68

Scooter68 Old Enough

I feel like a broken record but wine making requires one key thing that many people don't have in todays electronic age - PATIENCE.

It takes time to pit/prepare fruit
    It takes time to age a wine properly
    And the list goes on.

We spend time preparing things to make wine and we spend time waiting on wines to age BUT the wait is worth it to have it YOUR way.

Slappy and wildhair like this.
  10. Dennis Griffith

Dennis Griffith Senior Member

I'm not an expert, but do know that stone fruit (ie., plums) contain a compound called amygdalin, which breaks down into hydrogen cyanide when ingested. It has been listed as having an almond flavor as well. I would remove the pits as hydrogen cyanide is a poison.

Scooter68 likes this.
  11. Scooter68

Scooter68 Old Enough

What he said. You want to enjoy all that wine not risk the first bottle maybe being your last bottle.

12. Dennis Griffith

Dennis Griffith Senior Member

I should have said the PITS of stone fruit. I almost lost a dog many years ago cause he was in the same area that I had peaches growing. Figured out he had been chewing on the pits and had cyanide poisoning. BTW, commercial growers/processors save the pits and sell them to the pesticide manufacturers so that they can extract the toxin. Cherry pits also has the same compound in them.

13. Fuzzyface

Fuzzyface Junior

Good input from all. Thanks. Pits are out.