plum wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tissy

Junior
Reaction score
hi all,
just joined and wondered if you can help me
i have made 2 gallons plum wine and fermentation seems to have stopped after about a month, s.g is still 1.60 down from 1.100 taste is sweet what should i do to make drier.
Very new to wine making sorry if its a simple one

Hello Tissy and welcome to the forum,

If you could list your wine recipe for us please, including the yeast type used ( if known) and the temperature you are fermenting at.

It'll help us pinpoint your problem,

Allie

plumb wine

The recipe used was:
5lb plums
3 1/2 lb sugar
super wine yeast compound from youngs

ok.. so it's a 1 gallon batch, where did your recipe come from?

.. usually with fruit wines you would add pectolase ( enzyme) that will help the wine clear and you'd also add a campden tablet to help kill any wild yeasts and bacteria and some yeast nutrient. Perhaps a little citric acid or acid blend and a bit of tannin.

couple of questions..

have you strained the plums out of the wine and apart from being very sweet, does it taste ok? Where are you fermenting this?.. an area that is too cold or too hot will stop a fermentation temporarily til you move it into a temperature that is more favourable to the yeast. My other thought is that perhaps the yeast needs a little nutrient to help it along.

If you started with a Sg of 1.100.. that is a very high finished alcohol level if you finish it dry. You could drink it as it is, or you could make a yeast starter and gradually feed your wine to it, to get the wine fermentation restarted.

I think if you fermented this out to completely dry, you'd have an alcohol taste and lose the plum flavour, a good starting SG for a fruit wine is between 1.080 and 1.090.

Allie

hi all,
just joined and wondered if you can help me
i have made 2 gallons plum wine and fermentation seems to have stopped after about a month, s.g is still 1.60 down from 1.100 taste is sweet what should i do to make drier.
Very new to wine making sorry if its a simple one
Check your Hydrometer. No way you had a gravity of 1.160
I'm sure its a typo

Tom,

I read that as starting gravity of 1.100 and it's now stuck at 1.060.

Allie

Figures a typo. Didnt read the following posts.
1.100 sitll high for fruit wine.
I would degas and see if stires things up

Thank you for your help so far:
The receipt used was from a book published in 1980 called 130 new wine recipes by C.J.J. Berry.
I poured boiling water over the fruit and have fermented in the house boiler/ laundry room which has a temperature of about 22deg c during the day and may drop to about 15deg at night.
The wine is starting to clear and tastes fine just too sweet.
sorry about the miss type the sg is 1060.

Bring it to a warmer area.
Give the carboy a shake and see if you can wake up the yeast and maybe degas a little. Are the plums still in there?

no the plums are not there and have stuck it on the range cooker for 4hrs,the extra heat stopped the fermentation altogether.

I think the extra heat will definately have stopped the yeast Tissy.

Allie

I made 2 gallons so doubled the ingredients ,i only put one gallon by the cooker and both have stopped fermenting.
do think if i make another gallon use only half the sugar get the fermentation going then mix it all together an check sg readings would work

You could try making a yeast starter and feed your wine to it a little at a time til it's all fermenting.

if you could list the entire recipe and method you followed, for us to have a look at..it may give us a clue.

I think making another batch and using half of the sugar and mixing them all together.. take the SG and try and keep it around 1.070 to compensate for some fermentation having already occurred, see how that goes?

Allie

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back