plum wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caroline

Junior
Reaction score
I have about 3lbs of plums left over, some are a little under ripe in parts. Can any one suggest any thing I can ferment with them to make a rich sweet wine? Would sultanas, raisins of dried prunes be suitable?

In my opinion 3 lbs snt enough for a 1 gallon batch, I would go with almost 5 per gallon min. Being under ripe doesnt help that matter either. Th dried prunes would probably help but have never used them so dont have recipe help for you on this 1!

Yea I agree. BUTT, 1st let them "over ripe" then pit them and freeze for when you can get more

I have about 3lbs of plums left over, some are a little under ripe in parts. Can any one suggest any thing I can ferment with them to make a rich sweet wine? Would sultanas, raisins of dried prunes be suitable?
To answer your question you could use a lb or so of bananas. Not sure about prunes. Have wondered about using them also??
:b Steve

Look at my posts about processing about 200 kilo plums somewhere on this forum.

Plums will gain about 60% in juice. So for 3 lbs that will be not an awfull lot.

When underripe they will be very low in sugar (mine were at 1055 this year and they were very ripe)
and high in acid (mine were at 10 gram per liter), underripe will be higher.

So either you will have to dillute the juice a lot which gives no flavor left or blend it in with a very low acid juice like banana juice, or a flower extract like dandelions or elderflowers.

Let them ripe more, then wash and then freeze until you have more.
Or make jam and pie.

Luc

Latest posts

Back