Plum Wine Using FWK Packet D?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idahorevbob

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alrighty, where to begin? I guess I have two questions:

I am making a plum wine because I have a lot of plums from a friend. I have completed primary fermentation and racked from a bucket into a 6 gallon glass carboy. I didn't degass when I racked into the carboy. The wine started to clear but there was a band about 8 inches high of schmutz on the bottom that didn't seem to be settling out. So, I got off my lazy arse and degassed it which stirred it back into solution. The wine is cloudy as heck so I want to add some bentonite (which is rehydrating as we speak...will pitch tomorrow). Since my FG is steady at 0.996 I guess its time to add some KMeta and/or Potassium Sorbate. However, I have a couple of "Packet D" finishing packets from some Finer Wine Kits that I didn't use.

So, First Question: Could I use one of those? I think they are KMeta and Potassium Sorbate (plus maybe some other stuff?).

Second Question: The wine is pretty tart at the moment since the plums weren't really, really ripe when they went into the bucket. So, I'm thinking of back sweetening but have never tried it before. I don't want it to be massively sweet, just take the tartness off a bit. What are your suggestions for amount/type of sugar (?) to add.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Definitely give it some Kmeta, sorbate is optional at this point but you will need to add it in the future. And it is essentially mandatory if you back sweeten, unless you enjoy cleaning up volcanoes or exploding bottles.

Regular corn sugar is fine for back sweetening. Measure out, accurately, small quantities of wine, adding various amounts of sugar, when you settle on a profile, scale up your measurements. You should sneak up on your final additions in case of math errors, or taste bud fatigue.

Yup, add K-meta now. No need (yet) for Packet D. Don't worry about backsweetening for at least 3 or 4 months -- let the wine clear first.

Packet D is K-meta + sorbate, so it's fine to use. No point in buying sorbate when you have a packet in hand.

I use table sugar for backsweetening, adding in small amounts (a @Ohio Bob) suggested. Keep in mind it's a lot easier to add more than to take some out. If you get to the point where you think it needs just a bit more, STOP. It doesn't.

Thanks for all the guidance. It's only been in the carboy for about 2 weeks, or a little less.

I added the bentonite after rehydrating it overnight. I am perfectly willing to let it clear for several months.

I threw caution to the wind and added the Packet D before I read @winemaker81 guidance. I'm sure it will be fine. When I started homebrewing beer 35 years ago I learned Charlie Papazian's mantra of "Relax. Have a home brew". I am learning to apply that to winemaking! Had a bottle (well, not the entire bottle...) of my first batch of grape wine while I worked on the plum wine yesterday. This hobby is going to take over, I can tell.....

Will use caution when its finally time to backsweeten as you all recommend. I am not a fan of overly sweet wines.

Thanks and Cheers.

Latest posts

Back