Plum wine success???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WineCheater

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all havent been on for long enough, but with autumn (fall) beginning over here in the UK its time to start brewing
around 3 weeks ago I started a victoria plum wine going recipe followed was
3.5 qt. water
2 lbs sugar or 2 lbs. light honey
4 lbs. ripe sweet plums or 3 lbs. wild plums
5 tsp. acid blend (Do not use with wild plums)
1/8 tsp. tannin
1 tsp. yeast nutrient
1 Campden tablet (recommended)
1/2 tsp. pectic enzyme
Champagne or Montrachet yeast

followed it with the sugar recipe and it went very well indeed, my question to pose to the country wine makers out there is this
after only 3 weeks my wine has fermented and pretty much cleared itself, it is dry with a fairly vauge taste of the plum ingredient and is near enough the colour of reisling but with quite an acidic bite, will this bite mellow over time ageing? and more importantly will the flavour of the original plum ingrediants come through over the months?
I have racked off the heavy sediment and left in a clean demijon under airlock incase it hasnt quite finished yet
I guess I'll live in hope that this turns out to be a winner,.......its not unpleasant but is a bit bland
any thoughts?
Oh and heres a pic of it at the start just for fun
DSCF0321.jpg

he flavor will take a few months to start coming out and can take up to 1 year. If its very acidic then placing it into an area where the temps will be blow 40* will let the wine precipitate the extra acids out but will take a few weeks in these temps to do so. You could also add stuff like calcium carbonate to do this also. Sweetening a wine will also bring out tye flavors but an f-pac will do wonders and make it drinkable much sooner.

The predominant acid in plum is malic acid.
However sad, that can not be precipitated out by cold.

So using chalk is the best way to reduce acidity.
I would however wait until the wine has aged to see how it devellops.

Luc

Back