plum wine problem

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
when the sg does not change for at least 3 days it is done fermenting right?

i was wondering if one of you have a 5 gallon recipe for plum wine that i might be able to follow. its possible that i can get a small batch of the plums that a previously picked for my current batch. the plums dont have much longer until they are no good anymore. they are falling off the trees and squishy, but very ripe and sweet. i just hate to see them go to waste so i would love to take another shot at it this year before its too late. my goal with the first batch was a wine that was fruity but a little stronger. and obviously i used too much sugar that time. i would still like to make a plum wine that is somewhere around 13-13.5% i'm not sure how many #s i can get but id say somewhere around 30# will that be enough for a 5gallon recipe that anyone has perfected? if so, may i use it?

Pick the plums first, weigh them and let us know how much you have.

you might like to do a heavier percentage of fruit this time in a smaller batch to compare.

Allie

If you look under recipes i have a 6 gallon recipe that will just need to be reduced to a 5 gallon recipe. Change everything but the yeast packet. Make sure the plums are very ripe!

i think rather than change the recipe i will just shoot for the 6 gallon batch. i hav powder enzyme. is it ok to use 1/4 tsp of that or does it have to be liquid. i am only missing couple ingredients to the recipe but will collect them soon. the plums are in yard of neighbor to relative. i dont want to be greedy by asking for more (since ive already picked 85#) but they are going to waste. its a shame really. in the case that i can get more, would it be better for my current batch to come up with some sweetening solution using extra plums or is simple syrup ok?

(For the wine you have now) If you are happy with the flavor then simple syrup will work fine and it will also bring forward some fruit flavor also.
As far as pectic enzyme goes use whatever you have and go by the manufactureres instructions on how much to use and done be afraid to use a little extra of thisw stuff as it does not hurt and some fruits really require more.

its a littler hard to tell the flavor i have now due to the high alcohol content. its really masked. should i go by what had sampled from the batch that was in my fridge as described in earlier posts? also, it does not specify in your recipe when to apply the acid blend. common sense tells me its in the beginning of process. i want to play it on the safe side tho and b sure.?

You should always adjust acid up front as this will help fermentation if everything is balanced correctly. Sometimes this has to be readjusted again after fermentation as citric acid can get consumed during a fermentation. If the flavor is that masked then it probably need some flavor added back along with lots of ageing.

i went to a local homebrewing companyhere in denver by the name of stomp then grapes. they were very informative. i took a sample of my batch to them and had it checked for contaminates. all clear!! and with the advice of an employee there i will be sweetening with california honey, and adding natural plum flavor. i was able to modify a bit of the sample that i took in there and it seems as if it will come out quite good. obviously the alcohol level will still be high but the finished product after some aging should come out quite enjoyable.

i am not going to be able to get more of the plums from the neighbor. does anyone have any ideas of where i can order some?

Why don't you have a look around and see what other fruit is ripe and really cheap due to being seasonal?.. Are apples cheap at the momen? Apple cider and apple wine are both well worth making if you can get the fruit cheap.

What about 'pick your own fruit' type places?.. They are often worth filling your car to the brim for.

Allie

I climbed a plum tree today and got about 15 lbs, but the real hit was the black walnut tree next to it

You can use grocery store produce, however be aware that most produce is picked slightly underripe and often coolstored for long periods.. this can affect the flavour and amount of juice you will get from the fruit.

If using shopbought products.. I'd suggest you choose pre packaged juices for ferment.. It can often work out cheaper and you cut out a lot of work for yourself. If using juices.. read the back of the packaging carefully.. you want 100% juice ( not 'fruit drink') and 'no preservatives added'. Some preservatives.. such as potassium sorbate.. will make your fermentation difficult, if not impossible, to get started.

Allie

I agree, most grocery stores get their products from places that ship them pretty far and these places pick them early resulting in lower sugars and higher acids and not as much flavor. There are some goo finds in the produce area but some of them can be very bland and not worth it. Frozen fruit is another story though and you can get some good fruit that way as its picked ripe and then flash frozen and freezing fruit is a good thing for wine makers as it beaks down the cellular walls which in turn gives us better color and flavor extraction in our wines.

AS one who makes alot of frresh fruit wines I agree with the above posts. I would find a farmer or a U-PICK place.
Plan on making fruit wines when that fruit is in season.

Back