plum wine has started up again

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sirs

just an oldman
Reaction score
Hey,
I racked my wild plum again(on the 24th) it had been quiet for about 2 weeks it has been quiet as a mouse no movement at all till yesterday morning. I seen a few tiny bubbles now it's covered again and slowly picking up speed wonders why it was quiet for so long. SG was at 1.060 it has wrked slwo from start so maybe it just took a nap??

Did you give it a good stir or two every day for the first few days. Sometimes the yeast need more oxygen to get going, and when you racked it you gave them that. Check out some of the SP threads, they all talk about how much Oxygen the yeast need. Other than that maybe they did just decide to take a break, LOL.

Seams to me it was hungry for oxygen. Add some nutrient SLOWLY..

what's the gravity? bubbles in the airlock mean nothing at all in terms of fermentation activity.

a warm day, a heavy semi driving by, or a clap of loud thunder will make my fully fermented (but not yet degassed) carboys burp CO2...which is all the bubbles ever mean...that CO2 was released for some reason.

?? Why did you rack so high a gravity?
Did you take a reading today?

it was the second racking I had the batch in 2 carboys and moved them into 1 that was reason for the racking first was when I'd taken off the must.

You might want to move it to a bucket till it ferments out. The surface area in a carboy does not allow for good gas exchange, oxygen -> yeast. Even if you are stirring in the carboy it might not get enough oxygen. You could also aerate it with a pump but a bucket would be easier.

I ferment directly in the carboy if I'm not worried about lots of sediment like tea wines, but if it's stalled at 1.060 the carboy might not be the answer. Unless your temperatures are really low for the middle of summer.

Latest posts

Back