Plum Ridge Cab-Sauv -

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jburtner

Reaction score
Hi, I have ordered three pails of frozen must for this spring / summer season... This should net about two carboys of wine. Brehm's "Three Pail Sale"..

Looking forward to this one as a nice full bodied red with good oak. I also have a WE Eclipse Merlot kit that I am planning to use the Cab Sauv skins on after AF is done...

Will update as I receive the grapes and go through the process...

Maybe some of this will end up blended as well... Time will tell almost all!

Need to order MLB and maybe some nutrients and yeast - checking stock tonight...

I'll confirm measurements but this is what they quoted -
Brix - 24.5
pH - 3.34
TA - 0.7

Looking for recommendations and suggestions on yeast and any additives...

Ciao,
johann

I used the 2013 Plum Ridge Cab twice, once in 2013 and then again in 2015. Very good fruit, but low in nutrients at 60ppm YAN, so definitely add a good yeast food, otherwise no adjustments to the must are necessary, the PH will increase during the primary, ML went without any problems.

Taking measurements today as it comes up to temp and pitching this weekend. I would pitch mlb too but planning to reuse skins on a kit right away.

-johann

IMG_4770.jpg

I pitched yeast Sunday morning. Looks like some activity this morning so I added 1/2 of the Fermaid K (7.5g)....

This what I measured -
pH: 3.77
TA: 0.38
Brix: 22.5

This is what it shows on their site -
pH - 3.34
TA - 0.7
Brix - 24.5

That's pretty different so maybe my chems are old? I'll measure again after AF and see about new chems.

Cheers!
-johann

There is some pail variation, but I don't think it would be that far off. Lower brix where those grapes are grown generally means lower pH. With frozen must, tartrates and sugars stratify and even though you mix the pails, it can still be difficult to get a good sample and accurate numbers. Just my opinion, but I wouldn't make any adjustments at this point.

I emailed them and they said that still being cold (but still thawed) can lead to all the components not being fully incorporated into the juice. This is what I expect is the main issue with my measurements - it was not yet fully incorporated. I'll measure again later before making any adjustments but this is my first frozen must batch... I think I'm really going to enjoy this :)

Thanks!
-johann

Good fermentation activity this morning. Metrics also came into the desireable window a day or so after pitching, sitting, and warming up a little....

Here's my notes -

Date/Time: Measured 48h after pitching yeast.
pH: 3.67
TA: 0.72
SG: 1.092
Temp: 67F

*** Notes and Additives ***
15Gal - (three buckets) Plum Ridge Cab Sav Grapes - Frozen Must from Brehm.
19.5g - Tannin - FT-Rouge - Added prior to pitching yeast.
1 LBS - American Heavy Oak Chips - Added prior to pitching yeast.
16.0g - BM 4x4 yeast - Rehydrated in 400ml 104F water + 20g GoFerm Protect.
07.5g - Fermaid K - Added at first sign of fermentation activity.
*** Later Additives ***
07.5g - Fermaid K - Added at SG depletion by 1/3 - This will be in the area of 1.055-1.060 or so...
2.50g - MLB VP41 - Added after pressing so skins can be reused w/Kit (no MLF).
10.0g - Acti ML + 50mL Water @ 77F - MLB rehydration protocol
12.0g - Opti Malo Plus - MLB nutrients - - Added to wine after pressing so skins can be reused w/Kit (no MLF).
*** Notes and Additives ***

I forgot to order the Brehm Red Wine Additive Kit from morewinemaking.com so did not have the enzymes in stock - next time I will order those... I did get a couple days cold soak in during shipping and as it warmed up to pitching temp...

Cheers!
-johann

The ferment is always an exciting part for me and both me and my son really enjoy punching down the cap - I have him roped in now so he's doing morning and afternoon work in the winery with punchdowns / etc.. I did the early morning punchdown today and am monitoring SG and pH. Didn't do a TA titration this morning but might this afternoon just to see how it develops throughout the process. SG is down to 1.062 this AM so I mixed in the second 7.5g of the Fermain K and pH was 3.57 - dropped another 0.1 points. I'll need to set up a table for the press and prepare that workstation in the meantime too...

Cheers!
-johann

Pressing off the skins is done. My press is either just a little small or just the right size for about three buckets worth.

I should spend some time reading and planning the next pressing so I can maybe get the free run better extracted before pressing. I've got a growing stock of 5gal buckets so I think a drill, some valves & seals, and my vacuum pump can probably be used to make a 5gal sized strainer. Drill out a ton of holes on one bucket bottom. Place into a second bucket with seal, valve, and nipple. Connect up to vacuum pump splash racking carboy bung and just fill with the fermented must.

I also started the WE Stags Leap Merlot kit with the once used skins. I used the included kit ingredients - 16L juice, oak powder, bentonite plus 5gal of the skins. Did not pitch the ec1118 yeast. The skins have plenty. Rehydrated with a gallon of water.

Cheers!
-johann

IMG_4826.jpg

IMG_4830.jpg

The cab sav's are #'s 7&8. Looks like very little malic acid. My WE kit has a good amount though. Cyser and Dragon Bloode have it too (both are apple cider based meads in this case).

The Brehm Chard converted nicely.

-johann

IMG_4866.jpg

Latest posts

Back