Plum puree in lieu of grape pack?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyle5434

Trying to fuse frugal/pragmatic with good results
Reaction score
All of my carboys (and all of my physical bulk aging space) is currently occupied, but I'm thinking ahead to future batches.

I'm toying with the idea of using a 49 oz. can of Vintner's Harvest plum puree (which is 100% unsweetened fruit) with a 16L Selection red kit, with the idea that the puree would provide many of the functions of a grape pack even though it's a different fruit family. I'm not expecting it to be a 100% equivalent substitute for a grape pack, but does anyone see a significant down side to giving it a try?

Vintners_Harvest_Plum_Puree_49oz.JPG

Hell, I'd give that a shot. I mean, I have zero experience with this, but sounds interesting.

You could probably figure out the expected sugar content of all of this (kit+can), just to make sure we aren't brewing up rocket fuel...

I'll probably I'll give it a shot. Since the plums don't have a super-strong flavor profile, and include some skins, I'm thinking they could increase the body and add a small amount of tannin without significantly altering the flavor profile of the underlying grapes.

Though it would potentially have a more noticeable flavor impact, I'm also kind of tempted to try the same thing with a can of tart cherry puree at some point.

@kyle5434 have you read @joeswine tweaking cheap kits thread? This sounds like a good tweak, of course you will want to make sure that plum fits the aromatic / flavor profile of whatever you were making and you should be good to go. To me this seems like an appropriate amount to add to a 6gal batch but Joe might have a different opinion. I have begun sautéing my fruit in either some of the must or a similar wine to break up any berries a bit, get some dispersion going early and kill any fresh fruit bacteria. With this being purée I’m not sure you need to do that. Let us know what you decide to add it to and how it turns out.

Just saw your post on tarT cherries. I added a pack of sautéed black cherries to a Fontana Pinot and I’m very happy with the results. Suttle background aromas and flavors of black cherries. Very nice.

Latest posts

Back