Plum and Muscadine blend ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddienlinda

Junior
Reaction score
Wondering if the two blended would make a good wine as I have an abundance of both. I have a 5 gallon batch of red plum started, a 3 gallon batch of wild plum, and overrun with Muscadine grapes getting ready to ripen. I will make a 5 gallon batch of Muscadine wine when they are ready for picking, but am curious if the red plum and grape would be a good mix. I have a couple gallons in the freezer, and dont want to make any more straight plum wine if options are at hand. Comments please, oh and advice is welcomed.

Wild Muscadine grapes. We are in rural Central Texas and are overrun with them this season.

Lol. Never had the "wild variety".

I will tell you this, you need to ferment separately and once finished blend to taste. Once you get a good ratio, then next time you can ferment together at that ratio.

There isn't a shortage of them around here. Each cluster has an average of 6 to 8 grapes. Sweet to tangy on the taste when ripe. We also have wild Mustangs around here as well which have 2 to 3 per cluster and a little sweeter.

Oh I love Muscadine wine, I usually make straight Noble. Dark inky with a bold taste.

I love a good plum too, but have never mixed them. I'll have to try that

Would y'all please share your muscadine recipes. I heard a few scary tales about the acid in them so I thought I would get a good solid recipe beforehand. I'm in Miss. and there is a "you pick" farm fairly close.

Latest posts

Back