Please help!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j4shey

Amateur wino
Reaction score
I’m an amateur grape grower. It’s my first time growing pinot noir vines. My vines were coming along fine and then all of a sudden the leaves are curling and vines have black spots. What can I do??

Attachments

• 89B1881D-481E-457F-BC14-444C1E3FC464.jpeg
    89B1881D-481E-457F-BC14-444C1E3FC464.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • BF783FAB-DD06-4E92-80FE-70638C128075.jpeg
    BF783FAB-DD06-4E92-80FE-70638C128075.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • D8154998-F483-4E3D-9DEF-9C359449F82D.jpeg
    D8154998-F483-4E3D-9DEF-9C359449F82D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
It looks like Phomopsis. Are you spraying the vines? If the vines are producing, spray with Captan. If not you can use Manzate instead,

Thank you! I will try. These are brand new vines and I just put them in the ground in March. I have not been spraying and they looked to be doing well until just recently.

Also VinesnBines, Should I try a systemic treatment (fungicide) as well? And is it something I’m doing to cause this phomopsis? Perhaps watering issue? Thanks for the help!

I’m on the East Coast and we spray everything with fungicides all season because fungus is King. I don’t think folks in California spray like we do so you need to check out the grape growing posts to see what they are doing. Or better yet check your local grape growers association or ag research center. They will give you advice for your exact location.
You can’t make fungus worse unless you are spraying water on the vines rather than watering the roots.

Thanks guys for the help. Does it matter if there is no powdery mildew on the leaves? Could it be “black rot”?

I bought them from Willis nursery in Georgia and put them in the ground in March. They were doing quite well, although a few did not come out of dormancy. The ones growing have now come down with this black spotting on the vines and withering/curling leaves.

I agree with Busabill - the stems/canes look like powdery mildew. This is easily fixed with sulfur here in California.

My bigger concern is the curling leaves. This is not leafroll (GLD). It looks like curly leaf, but I have only seen curly leaf on fruit trees.

Get some sulfur on your vines now, and in the winter, use a copper-oil type treatment on the dormant vines and you will be fine. We are lucky in California that we do not need to spray much. I do sulfur about 3 times a year and that is all that is needed. :)

I agree with Denden, the leaf curl is concerning and that is not powdery mildew. Likely some sort of pest. Definitely use some sort of horticulture oil treatment in concert with the copper or sulfur for the powdery mildew and you will be fine.

I agree with Busabill - the stems/canes look like powdery mildew. This is easily fixed with sulfur here in California.

My bigger concern is the curling leaves. This is not leafroll (GLD). It looks like curly leaf, but I have only seen curly leaf on fruit trees.

Get some sulfur on your vines now, and in the winter, use a copper-oil type treatment on the dormant vines and you will be fine. We are lucky in California that we do not need to spray much. I do sulfur about 3 times a year and that is all that is needed. :)
Denden, where are you located in california? I am in Northern California in Rocklin.

Also when I get a minute I will send you a shot of the oil that I use for pests on my vines.

I agree with Denden, the leaf curl is concerning and that is not powdery mildew. Likely some sort of pest. Definitely use some sort of horticulture oil treatment in concert with the copper or sulfur for the powdery mildew and you will be fine.
Would a Neem oil work ? Any recommendations for the pest/leaf portion? Thanks for all the help.

Latest posts

Back