Please explain these terms

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rubbermonkey

Junior
Reaction score
1.) Let it go dry
does this mean to let the wine ferment until the yeast dies?

2.) Stabilize
I dont understand this either...

thats all for now :)

1.) Let it go dry
does this mean to let the wine ferment until the yeast dies?

2.) Stabilize
I dont understand this either...

thats all for now :)

Let it go dry means to ferment until the SG is below 1.000.

Stabalize means to add Potassium Sorbate to prevent the yeast from reactivating if you are backsweetening your wine.

so does stabilizing kill the yeast and stop the fermentation process ?
NO, or at least not usually. Stabilization is usually the addition of potassium metabisulfite (aka K-meta) to stun the yeast, and potassium sorbate to act as birth control for yeast. It will probably not stop an active ferment. So a wine is usually stabilized after the yeast has eaten all of the existing sugar. Then any further sugar added will not ferment.

"Let it go dry" means to allow the yeast to eat all of the sugars in the must/wine. Usually resulting in an sg lower than 1.000, but often closer to .992 (which is lower than 1.000). The yeast will probably be dormant not dead.

Steve

it will stop re-fermentation.
i would not depend on it to stop an active fermentation.

Cold stabilization has been mentioned, i think.
Trying to stop a fermentation that is in full swing is risky at best (exploding glass bottles have no return addresses) :) and could cause off flavors from stressing the yeast.

What most winemakers do is aim to get the initial SG to match the amount of potential alcohol that the would like (approximately) and let the wine ferment "dry" (SG reading the same AND below 1.000 for 3 consecutive days) and then they stabilize (add sorbate to prevent renewed fermentation) and back-sweeten and/or add an f-pack (flavor pack, for instructions on preparing an f-pack, use search function and see the sticky)

Last edited:
Cold stabilization is the process of exposing your win e to cold temps(usually about 33* - 40* and this usually will stop a fermentation but is really for precipitating out tartaric acid (AKA wine diamonds) Cold crashing is really what its called when trying to stop the fermentation but even this when warmed up could start fermenting again even if you add sulfite and sorbate. The best and only safe ways are to let it ferment out and stabilize or cold crash the wine and then sterile filter it using a filter with .45 micron rating or les and it needs to be this fine to remove the yeast cells.

so when racking is it recommended to filter to?

As a rule, you filter a wine once, not every time that you rack it. Also filtering should be done to clear wines only, otherwise the filter pads will get clogged. Filtering polishes the wine rather than clearing the wine.

Steve

There are filter pumps that have specific filters. I use the Buon Vino Minijet Filter. There are not to clarify the wine - only to add a polish to the wine. There are 3 levels of pads - coarse, fine, and sterile.

I use the fine micron level - as sterile could strip too much from the wine.

i think i will just let it sit in the bottom of the carboy until clear.. then rack... dont want to buy a filter system... lol

Patience and time will clear wine up pretty good. I've learned from these guys, don't get in a hurry.
And if you decide to back sweeten/flavor anything that has finished fermenting, be sure to sorbate it and add the K-meta or else you'll wake up in the middle of the night hearing bottle "thunder".

i think i will just let it sit in the bottom of the carboy until clear.. then rack... dont want to buy a filter system... lol

Don't blame you - the are pricey about $160 + shipping then you have to buy the pads.

If you are having trouble getting it to clear - I would just add a clearing agent - wait a few weeks and rack off, then just let it sit for some time until clear.

Latest posts

Back