Please explain the MLF Process

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian

I love this obsession
Reaction score
I see Malo-Lactic Fermentation
"A secondary fermentation done to wine via a special inoculation of yeast for the precipitation of converting malic acid to lactic acid resulting in a smoother taste."

in the Wine Wikipedia and I hear people talking about MLF. Can someone explain the process? Thanks for any help! :a1

This is a process done to some wines to turn the excess malic acid into lactic acid which is much less harsh. (Dont do this with kit wines) Once you are done fermenting or very close to that point you add your malolactic bacteria to your win e without sulfiting your wine as this bacteria does not like sulfites. You then monitor your MLF by testing with a Chromatography test. There are only a few white wines or fruit wines that will benefit from this as most fruits arent high in malic acid and even some that are may benefit from this acidity.

No yeast is involved in this. It is a form of bacteria used to innoculate with and has nothing to do with precipitation.

Just to set the record straight and avoid you any further confusion. Wade has a pretty good basic summary for it.

Last edited:
Oh, and dont add any sorbate before during or after ever doing a malolactic fermentation as the 2 together equal a very bad ending which is usually a taste and aroma of geranium.

There are only a few white wines or fruit wines that will benefit from this as most fruits arent high in malic acid and even some that are may benefit from this acidity.

Thanks Wade how will I know which fruits are high in malic acid?

Grapeman I did find that quote in the wine wikipedia on this site. I do at least have the process and now I get to figure out how to use it.

Thanks again!:b

Guess Im off to chck out our wiki area to edit that and what else ever I can fnd in there!

Latest posts

Back