Please Drink Responsibly

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arcticsid

Arctic Contributor
Reaction score
It may not be my place to say this, but I am going to anyway!

This forum is about making alcohol, no brainer.

PLEASE be careful on what you do while drinking. I am noones Daddy or Mommie, nor would I ever profess to be. But I am from a place where alcohol causes some really bad problems. if it wasn't the Holiday season I would tell you some of them.

I don't have a halo on my head, and I suspect there are those in here who don't either. But I didn't start this thread to go in that direction.

I think I can speak for Wade and the others who run this site. Illegal activity isn't something we discuss in here. Everyones definition of illegality is different, but I don't want to bring up that discussion either. However, it is pretty certain, driving while drunk won't be tolerated. So if you choose to do so, please don't bring it up in here.

I live in Alaska where just about everything is tolerated. We can carry a concealed weapon without a permit, we can have an ounce of marijuana our homes without worry, we can shoot what we need to eat, and we can make as much liquor as we think we can drink.

But, having said that the one thing here that wont be tolerated is drinking and driving! And justifiably so.

Please don't do it, for any reason. PLEASE!

I hope all have a great holiday and continue making there own alcohol, whether it's wine or beer. Just remember, anything that could be considered illegal shouldn't be talked about in the open forum in here. This site is for all of us, not for all of you! Please don't misunderstand me, I am not here to judge. But please respect WMT and what it stands for.

Troy
:tz
:b

(PS, the "J", and the "4" are starting to stick on this keyboard, I may need to take it out back and see if I can fix it with the 20" side by side, gonna have to have a couple beers first. Okay, call me a hypocrite, but I mean what I said above. Please be responsible, I want to see you all through the next year!)

Last edited:
An agreeable enough post, sid, and one that I can get behind. Personally, these days, due to certain health considerations I limit myself to *one* beer or *one* glass of wine per day, and won't drink liquor at all. (Not that I have any problem with anyone enjoying their favorite libation whenever they like). And like you, I am NOT going to tell you that I always had that rule and that I did not od some really stupid (funny but stupid - and if it's funny you KNOW driving wasn't involved) things in my misspent youth. Indiscretions to a certain degree are part of the learning curve.

I too have some drunk driving stories best left untold at this joyous time of year, so we won't go there.

And I am also a motorcyclist. Hard core LOVE them. Been riding since my Dad bought me my first bike when I was 8. Ride quite well with all the miles under my belt. Yet WON'T even throw a leg over one unless it's before even that *one* beer or glass of wine of the day.

So, especially at this time of year, I think your post appropriate. I can see how one can come to like these here folks and want to keep them around to talk to. :)

thanks Vine, we'll talk about decisions later, we only have a few days, then this is something we can talk about. I have two "big tickets" under my belt, it will never happen again. My friend got 20 yrs last week for a bad decision. Left a 13 yo kid dead and a family without a son to have around the tree.I don't want to see anyone here have to deal with that.

This is an adult forum and I would hope any one in here acts like it!!!! i guessing most of us in here are 30yo plus, be an adult and prove it, please don't be stupid!

Lets drink!!

Happy Merry Bro!!!

Last edited:
And I am also a motorcyclist. Hard core LOVE them. Been riding since my Dad bought me my first bike when I was 8. Ride quite well with all the miles under my belt. Yet WON'T even throw a leg over one unless it's before even that *one* beer or glass of wine of the day.

Same here. Been riding for years and commute to work on my bikes. I keep running into guys trying to get me to go on a ride to some bar, drink a bunch of beers, and ride back. I did it once, but we spent more time at the bar instead of on the bikes and I got a ton of crap from the guys for not drinking with them. LOL

I tried to talk a couple of them into going on a ride then coming back to my place afterward for a few beers from the kegerator instead... but it seems that the bar is the point to them. To each their own, I guess.

I tried to talk a couple of them into going on a ride then coming back to my place afterward for a few beers from the kegerator instead... but it seems that the bar is the point to them. To each their own, I guess.

You know, that phenomenon has always been a point of extreme curiosity about human behavior to me.

I grew up with a Dad who *LOVED* Schlitz beer. I mean *LOVED* it. He also loved to hunt, and passed that gene along. As dearly as he loved that beer (yet to figure it out - I just have one every April 26th on his birthday as a stand in salute from him to Milwaulkee :) ) at no time did the love of hunting and the love of Schlitz EVER intersect. It just wasn't tolerated or even considered.

Over the years, I've been in hunting clubs (yeah, I left my roots for the big city for a while) and I've found three kinds. 1.) The hunting club where no alcohol at all is allowed on the property during hunting season(s). I really kind of preferred these, because iron rules on the subject were not prone to being "bent". Most of these folks I hunted with were far from tee-totalers - most would be glad to come around the house on football weekends and drink all the beer I could afford to buy them. lol

2.) The hunting club that only allows adult libation *after* the day's hunt is done and all are back at the rustic comforts of the bunk-house. These were fine at first, but every one I belonged to sooner or later relaxed the rules enough so that sooner or later some numb head would head out the door at five am, still drunk, carrying a .30-06 that sends a 150 grain bullet downrange at the neighborhood of 2900 feet per second. Those clubs were soon way behind me.

3.) The "anything goes" hunting club. Sad to say, there *are* those out there. Mainly attended by people who are not serious hunters to begin with. I have been unfortunate enough to find myself hunting land that fronts land hunted by "anything goes" clubs. Deer are "ground checked" for legality, most day packs have a flask or bottle in them, and they are NOT good places to hang around.

Same thing with the motorcyclists I know. To me, a *real* biker is one who wants to become one with his/her machine... to improve their skills every time they ride. To completely *inhale* the experience, and then to live to do it again. No matter how many times I've tried to convince some "bikers" I've run into that the stats show - 50% of all motorcycle fatalities involve booze and bikers - they seem to shrug it off. I can't help but shrug off the fact that those folks ain't *real* motorcyclists.

Sounds to me like you'll likely roll a lot more miles under your wheels, AND get to enjoy the satisfying taste of your favorite beverage a LOT longer than some folks you know. Since I'm done riding for the day, I'll lift a glass to your long lasting riding and thirst slaking and wish you a Merry Christmas!

Vine, I am a Milwaukee son!!!! Been here in the Far North most of my life but still miss my roots. Unfortunately I now call my home a place where people( I swear) challenge theirselves by seeing how drunk they can get and push the envelope. I fished here commercially for a few years and for the only time in my life, people didn't screw around with booze. I like them wanted to make it home.

Just the other day my buddy came over to show me his new gun. Luckily for all of us we decided to wait to shoot it until we were both cold sober, even though each of us had only one or two.

IT JUST ISNT WORTH IT.

Don't get me wrong, I am a pretty hard drinker, but it has never made me to be an irresponsible fool!

Troy

Last edited:
To me, a *real* biker is one who wants to become one with his/her machine... to improve their skills every time they ride. To completely *inhale* the experience, and then to live to do it again. No matter how many times I've tried to convince some "bikers" I've run into that the stats show - 50% of all motorcycle fatalities involve booze and bikers - they seem to shrug it off. I can't help but shrug off the fact that those folks ain't *real* motorcyclists.

Sounds to me like you'll likely roll a lot more miles under your wheels, AND get to enjoy the satisfying taste of your favorite beverage a LOT longer than some folks you know. Since I'm done riding for the day, I'll lift a glass to your long lasting riding and thirst slaking and wish you a Merry Christmas!

We seem to think alike. Thanks for the well-wishes. Merry Christmas to you as well!

Cool Troy. While there has been some right neat iron roll out of Milwaukee, I just never found the great joy in Schlitz that Dad did. More of a Sam Adams type myself. :)

I lived a few nautical miles (lol... as in a few HUNDRED) down the map from you for three and half years in a little place called Ketchikan. LOVED it there. Wish I could go back for a few visits a year. I can still taste those fresh grilled-by-the-riverside salmon, and haven't seen water I could look sixty feet down and see the bottom since I was there. Much as I liked it, I don't think I'd want to live there again. Like you said, roots run deep and all, and Dixie is where I'm to home at. Besides that, the fact that we have good motorcycling weather 11 months and 27 days (28 on leap years) is an added bonus. Not to mention being able to grow stuff to make your wine with. (Have a HUGE old pear tree that makes about two pickup truckloads a year of the finest pears you've ever had), two white muscadine vines that produce by the bucketfuls, and the two largest of the original seven blueberry bushes that make some FINE wine. Time to replant the other five so the deer will still love me, but hey - what can I say? Seven of them have hung around for so long feeding them is almost as obligatory as feeding my dawgs and my cat.

Plan to plant red muscadines soon as well as the blueberries, and since my wife and I have started a memorial tree line for those who we've loved and who have left us for the nonce, thought that various fruit trees would fit in well as an honor to all concerned. Little brother number one LOVED peaches, so that's a no brainer. Little brother number two loved banana trees period, but even with our subtropical locale, bananas here don't get big enough to be a bearing crop. Am going to have to turn that one over a few times to get the right tree to honor him. Mother-in-law (passed this past September) was a fan of those huge plums, so that one is also pretty easy to figure out. Have no IDEA where I'm gonna find a Schlitz tree for Dad, so that choice is gonna be a hard one. I've already told everyone else I love that they *have* to wait for me to die first, as I only have a five acre yard, and only so much space. lol

Brother Vine, just the fact you actually care gives you everything you need!

When you finally figure out how to grow beer on a tree let us know, the ole man will be proud and the rest of us will make sure nothing goes to waste!!!

I love the idea of a memorial garden thing. I love things that grow and I have already put in the good word for you to the growing Gods etc.!!!

Troy

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back