Please clarify Slurry for me..

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lherndo

Reaction score
I've read through the skeeter pee section and it sounds like they're using the leftovers from a previous wine to start a new one. But after a search for Slurry I didn't see anything that clarified it.

Since my first batch is Strawberry, it makes logical sense to use it to make the skeeter pee if that's the case. Can someone please clarify and if so, how should I save my "leftover"

Slurry is the gunk leftover in the bottom of your primary bucket. It is used for a starter because the gunk is actually yeast that are already strong and active.

I know some people refrigerate or freeze the slurry but I think it would slow down the yeast (which I figure is counterproductive, since the the whole point of using a slurry is that it's active yeast and strong).

I would think it would be better to just start your next batch as soon as your strawberry is done.

You can save the slurry in the frig or in the freezer with no bad effects on the skeeter pee. Bring the slurry to room temperature before using it. It will work just as fine as a new slurry would.

It's just the yeast left at the bottom. No mystery there. Just use it to get your SP going.

How far along is your strawberry wine if it's still in the primary get together what you would need to make you SP before you put strawberry into the secondary (carboy) . Strawberry would probably give it a good taste .

I bought my limon juice and sugar when I bought my strawberries...

Strawberry is in primary, on day 4,

I bought my lemon juice and sugar when I bought my strawberries. I still have my left over chems, (campden tabs, yeast nutrients, etc) so I'm ready to go as soon as my strawberry moves to my carboy.

I just don't have another Carboy to move the skeeter pee to.

This slurry is very strong and can overcome lots of abstackles that starting a new yeast could not handle and thats why this is used. Just like if you have a stuck fermentation on a batch that is 3/4 of the way fermented, adding a new yeast wouldnt stand a chance but dumping that wine on a slurry from a wine thats has gone beyond that abv will usually have no problem taking that wine that was stuck to finish.

Slurry is just the yeast cake, and the leftover wine that wasn't able to be racked (to avoid siphoning the yeast cake).

So, washed yeast (something beer brewers do a lot of, to reduce liquid yeast costs) is a nice clean yeast cake, while yeast slurry just has a little more liquid to it. With beer yeast washing, you're getting the yeast off the trub and often because you store it 6 months, you need it clean and mostly in water or a storage solution rather than straight beer (yeast keep better in water than beer).

With wine making we don't have hops or break material in the fermenter (its a much cleaner process), although oak chips and such would be stuff you don't want carried over in your slurry collection/re-use.

In case anyone wanted a real explicit distinction.

Glad I read this post. I was wondering about what exactly a slurry was also. Thanks to all who explained it. Does it matter though what type of wine you would get your slurry from to start your Skeeter Pee? What I mean is, white or red. Thanks, John.

Glad I read this post. I was wondering about what exactly a slurry was also. Thanks to all who explained it. Does it matter though what type of wine you would get your slurry from to start your Skeeter Pee? What I mean is, white or red. Thanks, John.

No, it doesn't just use whatever you have, it all comes out good.

Latest posts

Back