plastic vs glass?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beyondhuman

Junior
Reaction score
Would using plastic jugs rather than glass carboys have any effect on the out come of my wine?

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2581&highlight=plastic+jugs

Well, this is a question that hasn't came up in a long time. Try the above link for a discussion we had on this subject a while back. If you use the search in here and type in plastic jugs you will most likely find other discussions on this.

My answer. Don't know. This is a much discussed and much debated subject. I think you would need to read some of the other comments on this and make your own decision, but you will find the general concensus is to use glass whenever possible. I wouldn't hesitate to use plastic carboy for the primary, but if you are using fresh fruit you will need to push down the cap a couple times a day. Use a bucket for the primary, and also during the primary ferment you want some air to help the yeast grow and do their job so surface area is important during this stage. And of course, keep it covered with a dish towel, cheesecloth etc.

Troy

Last edited:
Back