plastic shavings in wine!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fun4stuff

Junior
Reaction score
so i was inspecting my wine today and noticed tiny plastic shavings floating on top and stuck to the sides of the glass carboy. i believe they came from a plastic stir rod that i used to degas- the friction between the rod and inlet of the carboy while stirring caused some of the plastic to rub off... my question is how should i go about separating these plastic shavings (above the size of fleas)?? can i siphon into funnel with coffee filter or would i be risking oxidation?? thanks

I would just rack to another carboy. The plastic bits, hopefully, will be left behind.

Steve

I would rack through a funnel with a nylon stocking in it
to be shure no plastic parts will come along.

If possible attach a hose at the bottom of the funnel that reaches to the bottom
of the bottle so no splashing will take place, and the least oxygen is
introduced in the wine.

Luc

If you are not going to filter the wine or don't have one I to recommend you rack the wine again. Just rack as usual and when you get toward the bottom try the coffee filter. You really shouldn't need to run the entire batch through the coffee filter as the shavings should float on top. Keep your racking cane toward the bottom. When it gets low to where you feel you might suck up some of the shavings run the wine through the coffee filter.

I missed the stocking part of Luc's post. That would work a lot faster than a coffee filter. I would go that route. Just sanitize the pantie hose and run the wine through it.

Latest posts

Back