Plastic Fermenters - Bacteria

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toneill

Reaction score
Curious how long you use a plastic fermenter? They develop a little scratching in them over time, from the Bentonite stirring I believe. Wondered if anyone developed problems with bacteria. Is this something with a limited life span?

thx

I'm still using the one I bought when I started in 2012. In fact, that reminds me my 'anniversary' was on 3/18.

I do put a cup or two of KMeta solution in there and seal it up for a while before use, but there are definitely scratches from stirring. I've never worried too much about them.

Last edited:
With winemaking you're not really trying to reach sterile conditions, so as long as you use standard sanitizing practices there shouldn't be a problem. Kits generally start with much lower microbe counts due to the preprocessing, but if you could see the amount of microbes coming in with fresh grapes, you would worry less about the scratches.

I'm still using the one I bought when I started in 2012. In fact, that reminds me my 'anniversary' was on 3/18.

I do put a cup or to of KMeta solution in there and seal it up for a while before use, but there are definitely scratches from stirring. I've never worried too much about them.

Happy belated Anniversary

I see scratches but no blackening in my white plastic fermentation buckets; won't be concerned until then. Cleaning and sanitizing seems to be keeping the bacteria, mold, etc. at bay.

As others have said, keeping it clean is all that really matters. When you see color differences in the scratches and/or smell your previous fermentations, it means your bucket is not clean.

I'm with ya'll above. Ive used the same brutes for 8 years now, clean them real good after and before use. Scratches, bug I physically scrub not just hose them out. I smell test everything my wine touches and so far no issues. :ft

Latest posts

Back