Plastic Fermenters - Bacteria

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

toneill

Reaction score
Curious how long you use a plastic fermenter? They develop a little scratching in them over time, from the Bentonite stirring I believe. Wondered if anyone developed problems with bacteria. Is this something with a limited life span?

thx

cmason1957

CRS Sufferer
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
O'Fallon, MO - Just NorthWest of St. Louis, MO
If this is a better bottle of equivalent type plastic fermenter, they probably last a very long time. I have some that are about 5 years or so. If they are water bottles (which are much thinner) I wouldn't use them more than two or three times.

toneill

Reaction score
Thanks Cmason, just a plastic 7.9G food grade pail from LD.

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
I'm still using the one I bought when I started in 2012. In fact, that reminds me my 'anniversary' was on 3/18.

I do put a cup or two of KMeta solution in there and seal it up for a while before use, but there are definitely scratches from stirring. I've never worried too much about them.

Last edited:

stickman

Veteran Winemaker
Reaction score
With winemaking you're not really trying to reach sterile conditions, so as long as you use standard sanitizing practices there shouldn't be a problem. Kits generally start with much lower microbe counts due to the preprocessing, but if you could see the amount of microbes coming in with fresh grapes, you would worry less about the scratches.

mainshipfred

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm still using the one I bought when I started in 2012. In fact, that reminds me my 'anniversary' was on 3/18.

I do put a cup or to of KMeta solution in there and seal it up for a while before use, but there are definitely scratches from stirring. I've never worried too much about them.
Happy belated Anniversary

bkisel

Reaction score
I see scratches but no blackening in my white plastic fermentation buckets; won't be concerned until then. Cleaning and sanitizing seems to be keeping the bacteria, mold, etc. at bay.

Noontime

Custom Label Printing & Design
Reaction score
As others have said, keeping it clean is all that really matters. When you see color differences in the scratches and/or smell your previous fermentations, it means your bucket is not clean.

Johny99

Reaction score
I'm with ya'll above. Ive used the same brutes for 8 years now, clean them real good after and before use. Scratches, bug I physically scrub not just hose them out. I smell test everything my wine touches and so far no issues. :ft