Plastic Carboy dent, safe to use?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ithink2020

Reaction score
I just got a new plastic Carboy delivered in the mail. It's from Amazon however there was a dent in it from shipping. Looks like something was set on the side of the box. Do you think I should try to return it or just go ahead and use it?

IMG_20200730_181428_compress69.jpg

IMG_20200730_181424_compress66.jpg

I would try to return it simply because it's going to be physically compromised and harder to clean as well. Not that it should be super strong but if it develops a crack or leak there later on...

After a bit out of the box, it is not as noticable now. Plus, the "damage" is no more severe, than the numbers stamped on the side. Just wish I had better luck with shipping.

the plastic has stress fractures that you can't see, but germs/bacteria will find, you paid for good, have em send good to you,
Dawg
I agree 100%. There's too much acceptance of mediocrity as the norm these days. Just read through on-line reviews and you'll see the number of people who complain about getting things that are broken, parts missing, doesn't fit just right, has a small crack, has a little chip, not the color I ordered, etc., etc, and yet they decide to keep them. Why?

plastics have a lot of flex, I am not surprised.
After a bit out of the box, it is not as noticable now. Plus, the "damage" is no more severe, than the numbers stamped on the side. Just wish I had better luck with shipping.
When I was doing sample send out I would sometimes send a “test” to myself, yup the shipping vendors damage my 50 pound sample, ,,, but I probably did more damage to others

Last night I had decided to keep it as 1. I Filled it with water, no leaks. There is still a couple of small indentations, but not major creases/cracks and most of the dent came out naturally. 2. The other item I had to have replaced took over a month to come in and didn't want to wait that long. 3. It is a hassle to box something up and find time to take it to a return location. Yes, it's not a huge inconvenience, but still an inconvenience.

However, you all have very valid points. Although the damage might not look that bad, it could actually lead to issues down the road. But most importantly, I did pay for a new, undamaged carboy, not one that had a dent in it.

As such, I chatted with Amazon explaining my frustration with their delivery service as of late. This is the 2nd item this year I've had damaged in shipment. I also explained how we have seen the delivery people toss packages from several feet away onto the porch (door camera). She said she is making a note of our recent issues and said she was going to send a replacement. Luckily I won't have to wait 2 months like last time, should be here this weekend. Also told me there was no need to return, just dispose of as I see fit. Which is nice, as I won't have to drive across town over lunch one day to the return location.

Latest posts

Back