Planting vines in NE West Virginia

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought those were own rooted but for some reason I didn't realize you planted other varietals besides vinifera. I am in the process of running a tiny test vineyard while looking for land to buy in MD, WVA, VA. My goal is to find a way to build a no spray vineyard which in the mid atlantic is extremely difficult. I know very little but here is what I have learned so far:

Vinifera is a waste of time unless I can find some miracle integrated management principle mix of soil conditioning and cover crops that somehow makes a difference with diseases.
I need an optimum site with as much wind as possible, as much sun as possible, and as little rain as possible.
The best vines so far are Petite Pearl and Arandell. The Arandell was bred by Cornell and spent a lot of time in their no spray test vineyard. The only decent Vinifera performers are cab franc and maybe Zin. Tannat looked strong but then caught a bunch of diseases. The PP is almost bullet proof but seems to be the favorite of Japanese beetles. I would build a predator stronghold to kill beetles if I had land and run through whacking the vines with a pack of chickens.

My current growing zone is Baltimore MD 7a.

If you are looking to do no spray or limited spray there are loads of vineyards to talk to about methodology. Sadly most of them are in optimum no spray areas out west but its still interesting to learn.

Take a look at Fukuoka's One Straw Revolution, its an interesting principle.

I also agree cider apples are a great idea as an integrated pursuit. I have made about 400 gallons of cider which over all is not very much but the process is pleasing and very similar to wine in many respects.

We have been getting all your rain, you can have some of it back! In your pics it looks like the grass is encroaching on your vines? You also look like you are in a perfect place to plant some apple trees for cider to have something to do after all the grapes are picked. WVMJ

Quite an accurate assessment on the farm's suitability for an orchard, seeing as the only remaining commercial apple orchard in the county is on the same side of the same ridge, one mile away ;)

In reality though, any time I want apples, I just go get a truckload of "deer apples" from them, which just means they were the ones that fell or were dropped during picking.

Latest posts

Back