Planting Soon - Seeking Wisdom

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Villa Niagara

Junior
Reaction score
My family is jumping into grape growing this season with 135 Cab Franc vines - we’re super excited! We are preparing our little vineyard and I plan on planting vines first and finishing the trellis system over the next little while. Question: how much times can the new vines be supported by just the stakes which will be inserted along with the plants? ( and, is that an OK plan to finish the trellis system last??) thanks in advance!

My family is jumping into grape growing this season with 135 Cab Franc vines - we’re super excited! We are preparing our little vineyard and I plan on planting vines first and finishing the trellis system over the next little while. Question: how much times can the new vines be supported by just the stakes which will be inserted along with the plants? ( and, is that an OK plan to finish the trellis system last??) thanks in advance!
You don’t need a trellis the first year. This is a Marquette vine at the start of year two
IMG_2441.jpeg
In year one it was maybe 4’ tall. No trellis, just a bamboo stake. In March I pruned to four buds and replaced the bamboo stake with 1/2” rebar. I’ll be building the trellis in a month or so.

Latest posts

Back