Planning my Primary Fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domw001

Junior
Reaction score
I am goint to start my 1st batch of Blackcurrant wine this weekend but I am going on vacation 2 weeks after.

I can obviously watch over the process for the first 14 days but does anyone think it would be OK to leave the wine unchecked for a further 7 days and transfer to secondary fermentation on my return?

This would be about 21-22 days from start

I am goint to start my 1st batch of Blackcurrant wine this weekend but I am going on vacation 2 weeks after.

I can obviously watch over the process for the first 14 days but does anyone think it would be OK to leave the wine unchecked for a further 7 days and transfer to secondary fermentation on my return?

This would be about 21-22 days from start

First off, welcom to the forum.

Based on your time frame. If you start it this weekend, you will likely be able to transfer to secondary next weekend (July 17th weekend). From there its time to let it do it's thing. I'm not so sure I would want leave it in primary for 3 weeks.

Last edited:
I totally agree - you will be able to rack to the secondary in about 4-5 days.

I just racked my strawberry in 3 - starting SG was 1.085 and i racked to secondary when it was 1.002.

Now it will sit there for a while until dry - 0.990ish.

Thanks guys, just what I want to hear.

It's my first attempt so wish me luck.

:b

Welcome!
You should be fine like above start now and in 4-5 days should be low enough to rack (1.010). Then no problem till you get back.

Latest posts

Back