Planning for first from grapes wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cab is consistent, Zinfandel can be a issue as it is prone to stuck fermentations and can be a bit of a problem if you haven’t made much wine from grapes before. Merlot is a good option though.
What’s different with Zinfandel?

I was thinking of the Zymaflore Egide when I said it. Can’t find it yet. Not from a home brew shop anyway. Most of this will be online order and shipping. I can only get the basics here and a few strains of yeast. Beer ingredients are easier to get. We are basically kit wines and country wines. That said it’s not going to stop me if I have to use meta.
https://dwinesupplies.com/products/zymaflore-egide

I will see if they ship to Canada but I have found a company in Canada if they will sell to me. Have yo phone them as they dint have a web store.
i think u should ask around ur area - u said u are from Saskatchewan - i'm sure u will find a supplier that brings in grapes - if not u will have a hard time getting grapes on your own - that just won't happened - if u do - top dollar$$$
maybe frozen must - but that a stretch - i know there Bosagrape in BC
they sell Peter Brehm frozen grapes

i think u should ask around ur area - u said u are from Saskatchewan - i'm sure u will find a supplier that brings in grapes - if not u will have a hard time getting grapes on your own - that just won't happened - if u do - top dollar$$$
maybe frozen must - but that a stretch - i know there Bosagrape in BC
they sell Peter Brehm frozen grapes
I've found two places that brings in grapes but one is up for sale. The other place is a produce importer. I meant for the specialty yeast that protects the must and allows for sulfite reduction.

I've found two places that brings in grapes but one is up for sale. The other place is a produce importer. I meant for the specialty yeast that protects the must and allows for sulfite reduction.
get on the Lalvin website - good luck

Ok I’m curious now about the Zinfandel having higher Brix. I looked at my liquor store and the Zinfandels there are all 14.5% alcohol or less. Are they picking early or blending or what am I missing?

Ok I’m curious now about the Zinfandel having higher Brix. I looked at my liquor store and the Zinfandels there are all 14.5% alcohol or less. Are they picking early or blending or what am I missing?
Could be either. I'm not sure if watering back is legal in CA, but that's also a possibility.

In the USA, a varietal labeled wine has to contain at least 75% of the named grape variety, so a hot Zinfandel can be cut with up to 25% of other grapes.

A lot of the zinfandels I’ve had and worked with have been 15%-17% I produce a zin that hits 16.5% I like them with higher abv but only if it’s balanced and the alcohol isn’t hot and doesn’t stand out too strongly.

Interesting could be a good starting base for a port. I found an article that suggested using a blend for a port. It has a couple suggestions

Luscious Port Wine - WineMakerMag.com

Syrah, Merlot and perhaps a little Alicante Bouschet. Blending ratios depend on taste; a typical ratio for these varietals is 75-20-5, respectively. Or you can try a 50-50 blend of Syrah and Zindandel.

Thoughts?

Latest posts

Back