Place to buy Virginia grapes?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zadvocate

Reaction score
Just toured a few vineyards in Virginia and I was wondering if there's anywhere I could buy Virginia grapes this season?

I think there are several, though I'm just starting to realize that. Are you in VA? @mainshipfred has found a source for some reds, though I think he 'knows a guy'. I'm trying to find some Viognier, Traminette, or Petite Manseng. Juice would be great for those white varietals for me though.

Where did you tour?

I think there are several, though I'm just starting to realize that. Are you in VA? @mainshipfred has found a source for some reds, though I think he 'knows a guy'. I'm trying to find some Viognier, Traminette, or Petite Manseng. Juice would be great for those white varietals for me though.

Where did you tour?

This will be the first time for buying grapes for me. I don't know the cost and was told by one vineyard the source depends on the harvest and the quantities requested by their regular winery requests. There didn't seems to be a problem with the small quantities I wanted. I have asked for Norton, Tannat and Petit Manseng. What are you looking for?

I am looking for pretty much whatever I can get. I definitely would like some of the whites, Viognier, Chard, Vidal Blanc and reds like Cab Franc, Cab Sau, Merlot etc...

I live in SW PA. We drove to Williamsburg and hit about 7 wineries along the way. I wouldn't have a problem driving 4-5 hours to pick up grapes and I would think the prices would be much lower too.

I am looking for pretty much whatever I can get. I definitely would like some of the whites, Viognier, Chard, Vidal Blanc and reds like Cab Franc, Cab Sau, Merlot etc...

I live in SW PA. We drove to Williamsburg and hit about 7 wineries along the way. I wouldn't have a problem driving 4-5 hours to pick up grapes and I would think the prices would be much lower too.

What kind of quantities? I have no idea of the prices. Next time you come down you need to hit the Northern VA Wineries, a lot closer. I would think if we got enough people wanting the same grapes we could get a better price. I want Petit Manseng for the white and I think Jim may also.

I just realized that today looking at the map there are a lot of vineyards in Northern Virginia. I have been emailing a few today to see whether any would sell grapes so far no luck. 2 replies out of 7 so far. I have also noticed on the Virginia vineyard association exchange there is a listing but I don't know if they sell by the ton Or what. I have an email out to them also. I'm just looking for a few hundred pounds and of course if the price is right I could buy more. I have never had the petite Manseng but if it makes a nice dry white I would be up for giving it a try.

I guess you can make as dry or sweet as you like. In fact wineris around here make it different every year. I've had both off dry and dry and they are both very good. Any luck with responses from your emails? I have a little relationship with the two I am working with.

Northern VA has quite a bit to offer. Though there are smaller vineyards, you can find some gems there. For Norton, you may want to check Chrysalis. They usually produce a ton (no pun intended) of it. For whites, you could check with Pearmund. They've got a few plots with different varietals; their main being Chardonnay.

I did email chrysalis But haven't heard back yet. I will also check out the other Vineyard you mentioned. Thank you.

Northern VA has quite a bit to offer. Though there are smaller vineyards, you can find some gems there. For Norton, you may want to check Chrysalis. They usually produce a ton (no pun intended) of it. For whites, you could check with Pearmund. They've got a few plots with different varietals; their main being Chardonnay.

Was just at Pearmund with @mainshipfred a couple weeks ago. Loved their Petite Manseng. If I could get my hands on some of that or the Viognier, I'd be all over it.

They were very prompt and letting me know that they cannot do not have any extra to sell.

Funny you named those two out of all the wineries in NOVA. They are the two I've been talking to. I built the new Chrysalis tasting building. 12000sf with a 2000sf cave. I am a wine club member of Pearmund. Pearmund already told me I could get Petit Manseng and Norton. Chrysalis tentatively committed to Norton and Tannat depending on their annual winery orders. Either way I will have something. If anyone wants a specific varietal let me know the grape and quanntity and I will see what I can do. Don't want to be greedy but want to make sure I am able to get mine.

Funny you named those two out of all the wineries in NOVA. They are the two I've been talking to. I built the new Chrysalis tasting building. 12000sf with a 2000sf cave. I am a wine club member of Pearmund. Pearmund already told me I could get Petit Manseng and Norton. Chrysalis tentatively committed to Norton and Tannat depending on their annual winery orders. Either way I will have something. If anyone wants a specific varietal let me know the grape and quanntity and I will see what I can do. Don't want to be greedy but want to make sure I am able to get mine.

If you happen to be talking w/ them, the PM and Viognier are my goals. If I can't get them, I'll get a Viognier juice bucket from Harford again. I'm very happy with the one I did in the fall and if the lawn is too wet to mow tonight, I'll be bottling it.

Was just at Pearmund with @mainshipfred a couple weeks ago. Loved their Petite Manseng. If I could get my hands on some of that or the Viognier, I'd be all over it.

If you happen to be talking w/ them, the PM and Viognier are my goals. If I can't get them, I'll get a Viognier juice bucket from Harford again. I'm very happy with the one I did in the fall and if the lawn is too wet to mow tonight, I'll be bottling it.

3 lugs each? I don't know the yield of either one.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back