Plaato airlock?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Retired teacher

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any comments, opinions, thoughts about this new airlock? Personally, I can’t spend that kind of money for an airlock but I find the idea intriguing.

PLAATO Airlock V3 - Wireless Hydrometer and Airlock​

Item Number: 43378

Price:
Sale price$135.00
Stock:
In stockEligible for Fast & Free Delivery

When I read the words about this, I believe I saw that it doesn't measure SG, but estimates it from the CO2 produced. I'll take a daily real measurement over a guesstimate any day. Not to mention how many airlocks and hydrometer I could buy for that dollar amount.

@Retired teacher, your question is a good one -- I see some products and wonder if there is an honestly useful reason for buying them. Is there something I'm missing?

In this case? @ratflinger put it best. It causes me to ask the same question as I do of most wireless and/or internet-enabled products -- WHY?

Since I'm a cheap SOB, I also considered that a hydrometer is $9 and each airlock/stopper is $3.50. For $135 USD I can buy 2 hydrometers and 33 airlocks & stoppers. ;)

Since I'm a cheap SOB, I also considered that a hydrometer is $9 and each airlock/stopper is $3.50. For $135 USD I can buy 2 hydrometers and 33 airlocks & stoppers. ;)
As fragile as hydrometers are maybe 33 hydrometers and 2 airlocks and stoppers! :D (Yes, I know the math doesn’t work, but I’m too tired to work it out.)

As fragile as hydrometers are maybe 33 hydrometers and 2 airlocks and stoppers! :D (Yes, I know the math doesn’t work, but I’m too tired to work it out.)
Your point is taken! :)

Oddly enough, I still use the hydrometer I purchased in January 1984. My brother quit winemaking years ago and gave me his hardware, so I have his hydrometer from that era. I suspect hydrometers today are more fragile than they were 40 years ago.

Back