pitching yeast: to mix or not to mix?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wine newbee

Reaction score
Maybe this is nit-picky, but sometimes the simple crap is what sinks the ship, so ....

When I add the yeast to the paw paw brew tonight, do I stir it in once it's been sprinkled onto the top of the mixture?. Or ... sprinkle it on top and leave as-is?

Ah... Well... There is a topic.

Here is my perspective.

I have looked into this. Done the research. Read the peer reviewed literature. They all have good things to say.

Yet someone will say that to just pitch in the yeast on top works fine. Others say that is a bad idea. Or... don't add yeast at all... let it go natural. And so on,,,

Making sacrifices, chicken feet, prayer, warming the yeast must to 40°C optimal for yeast and reducing temperature shock, etc etc etc... Plenty of options and anything people may say to try to get the best wine.

Personally, I think it will come down to experience. Like most of wine making. A lot is a science, and a lot is an art. You have to find the correct ratio of the two. The science you can research. The art takes time to perfect. And for each of us... pitching yeast, how and when, (or not --- for those wanting a natural wine) is part of the art.

Hope this helps.

Not sure that the question is either /or. If you pitch powdered yeast then that yeast needs a few minutes to rehydrate and it will but stirring the yeast immediately may not be the best way to allow each cell to rehydrate fully. I would allow the yeast to sit on the surface and it will take up the liquid and when it does it will tend to drop into solution.
If you are adding a yeast starter the liquid you pitch will itself self mix. But here's the thing. Yeast is not a single cell but a colony and the colony works best as a colony so stirring the yeast immediately tends to isolate the cells rather than allow them to congregate. After 12 or 24 hours you will want to stir to help introduce more O2 and remove CO2 but I tend to allow the yeast to find its own place in its own time over the first 12 -24 hours.

As Bernard says, if you are sprinkling dry yeast on the must, leave it several hours to rehydrate. If you rehydrate before pitching, then you may stir immediately.

Much obliged, guys; sounds totally logical and reasonable to me. I played with the concept of maybe sprinkling half a packet of yeast into the must and stirring it in, then sprinkling the rest on top and leaving it. I believe the "put it all on top and leave to find its own destiny" may be the way to go. Again, thx a heap for all the useful and intelligent input ....

Mitch

Much obliged, guys; sounds totally logical and reasonable to me. I played with the concept of maybe sprinkling half a packet of yeast into the must and stirring it in, then sprinkling the rest on top and leaving it. I believe the "put it all on top and leave to find its own destiny" may be the way to go. Again, thx a heap for all the useful and intelligent input ....

Mitch
By splitting the package in half, I think you are reducing the chances of each half to get going. And as mentioned by others above, if you sprinkle, don't mix it in immediately. For my first few years wine-making, I only did kits. They all said just sprinkle on top and leave it alone (not even stirring). Since then I've learned a lot. Any time I tried rehydrating the yeast, I had trouble. Maybe I was doing something wrong, but now I sprinkle on top, wait until I can see it going strongly, and then stir vigorously every day until about 1.020 or so. A third option is to use a yeast starter, but I think that is only necessary if sprinkling doesn't work, meaning something in your must is making it difficult. If you lack the knowledge and equipment to determine the cause, a yeast starter gives the yeast a running start, to help overcome a hostile environment.

Follow the manufacturer's instructions to the letter! Do not use tap water when rehydrating, get a jug of high quality spring water or use distilled water. If the temperature difference between the yeast and the must/juice is more than about 15 or 20 degrees F, then add a little juice to the yeast, let it sit for a few minutes to climatize the yeast, then perform this process again until the temperatures between the two are minimal. Then pour all of the yeast solution on top of the must/juice. Do not stir. (However, I give the must/juice a good stirs, just before pitching the yeast).

Comments:
Yeast is cheap. Don't skimp. Use yeast strains well suited for the wine you want to make. One packet will inoculate a 35-50 gallon bin of must.
Differences in temperature between rehydrated yeast and must/juice can shock the yeast and kill a bunch
Dumping straight dry yeast on top of juice will also shock the yeast. (It's like flooding a carburetor. Too much gas too soon).
Don't let rehydrated yeast sit around longer than the manufacturer says. The water only awakens the yeast, it doesn't nourish it.

In the MoreWine manual they say to make your starter and mix it in. That's what I've always done and always had quick fermentation starts. There is lots of "traditional practice" some good and some bad, but I think the science supports mixing the yeast into the must. I highly recommend you read the excellent and free MoreWine manual. And while it doesn't address paw paws it does cover all aspects of fermentation.

"Once the yeast has been properly hydrated, add it to the must and thoroughly mix it in. Congratulations, you have just inoculated your must and the fermentation has officially begun. However, even though things are taking place, it will probably be a day or two before you see any visible signs."

I missed that this was pawpaw. My pawpaw took off with wild yeast. After I pitched we were off to the races. You are fine with sprinkling on top.

I would simply sprinkle onto the surface.
I've actually done both ways... sprinkle on top, and sometimes stir the must, and sprinkle. If after they wine will not start ferment, i then make my yeast starter. We have very software up here in PNW so when making a starter, i just make up 1/2 glass of warmed water, add a bit of sugar, then yeast. Let it sit for 30min -1hr and look for activity. then dump into must.

Back