Pitched my yeast (D-47) at 78 deg....

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wooden

Junior
Reaction score
Hey,

So I pitched my yeast (D-47) on the must when it was still at 78 deg. I made a mistake cooling it (did not stir) so the thermometer gave me a reading much lower than it actually was, when I took the wort chiller out. I forgot to stir while chilling, so the reading on the kettle was much lower than the actual total must (probe probably near a coil on the chiller).

Before you guys jump all over me for BOILING my must (lol) this is NOT a grape wine and contains no fruits! :)

The fermentation temp of the room will be about 65F. I may move it to a cooler area (my basement, in the 50's) once fermentation takes off.

It's been about 12 hr now, and no signs of fermentation.

Am I screwed since I pitched at a high temp? I would be surprised since the rehydration instructions were in the 100's (which I followed to a tee).

Also, I was probably close to the 45' rehydration mark, and maybe passed it due to the chilling issue (put it in swamp cooler to try to get temp down before pitching).

Should I buy another pack of yeast, throw in a different yeast like KV-1116, or what?

I wanted the D-47 as I figured it would go good with the characteristics of my must that will have some heavy oak-like flavors; and I MAY want to try splitting the batch after a few days to do MLF in one of them.

Cheers,

Wooden

I agree, D47 is often a slow gentle starter. Additionally, since this is not a grape or fruit wine I hope you've added sufficient nutrient to feed the yeast.

What on earth are you making????? Herb or flower wine?

Pam in cinti

Back