Pitch more yeast?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineview

Still waiting.........
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pail of Chianti juice. Pitched BM4x4. OG 1.085. Eight days later SG 1.012.

Let it rest for another week or so or pitch more yeast. I have some EC1118.

Your yeast stopped for a reason. Temps or nutrients????

Today I added yeast nutrients and gave it a good stir. The temperature of the juice is 60*. I know sounds a bit low but it’s the best I can do. I’m only at the house on weekends. I wrapped the bucket with several wool blankets hoping to keep it warm. So what if the 1.012 doesn’t drop in a week? Should I pitch the EC1118 to get the last of the sugars?

Today I added yeast nutrients and gave it a good stir. The temperature of the juice is 60*. I know sounds a bit low but it’s the best I can do. I’m only at the house on weekends. I wrapped the bucket with several wool blankets hoping to keep it warm. So what if the 1.012 doesn’t drop in a week? Should I pitch the EC1118 to get the last of the sugars?

You could try that, but at 60, you may struggle to finish. With a little nutrient on board and a brew belt (or heating pad duct taped to the sides), you could push it over the edge pretty easily.

You could try that, but at 60, you may struggle to finish. With a little nutrient on board and a brew belt (or heating pad duct taped to the sides), you could push it over the edge pretty easily.

I am going to put heat on the bucket with a belt today or tomorrow. Would you recommend adding EC 1118 or leave it be with the nutrients? Remember BM 4x4 is the original yeast pitched.

Okay, I was just making sure that you weren't trying to measure with a refractometer during an active fermentation. We see that a lot here as the explanation for a "stuck fermentation."

Personally, I would give it some more time (and temperature!).

Please be careful with the brewbelt and not leave it on while you are away during the week especially if wrapped in anything. I had a brewbelt melt on me last winter on a fermenter I had in a box. I smelled it before it caused a fire but was a very close call. I think my problem was a part of the belt that doubled up and cooked itself. Another thing is I've had several wines take a few weeks to ferment out fully so would not be alarmed at 8 days. are you sure it's not just kicking along slowly?

Now you have me concerned. This is the heater. I will monitor it over the day and night and see what happens. I thought it would be safe because it has a thermostat that turns it on and off. I will not wrap anything over the top. You may have to google it to see the photos.

• 51R0bpi%2BzyL._SS40_.jpg
  • 51y0Zxzgo2L._SS40_.jpg
  • 51E%2BvXTLF8L._SS40_.jpg
  • 51CwSWMK4zL._SS40_.jpg
  • 51IWmWvwnyL._SS40_.jpg
  • 41XRZAp-kVL._SS40_.jpg
  • 5118FrXP8%2BL._SS40_.jpg

Roll over image to zoom in

Kenley Fermentation Carboy Heater with Thermostat - Kombucha Heating Kit - Home Brewing Heat Strip Belt Wrap Mat Brew Warmer Warming Pad with Temperature Controller - Works with any Vessel up to 8 Gal

Now you have me concerned. This is the heater. I will monitor it over the day and night and see what happens. I thought it would be safe because it has a thermostat that turns it on and off. I will not wrap anything over the top. You may have to google it to see the photos.

• 51R0bpi%2BzyL._SS40_.jpg
  • 51y0Zxzgo2L._SS40_.jpg
  • 51E%2BvXTLF8L._SS40_.jpg
  • 51CwSWMK4zL._SS40_.jpg
  • 51IWmWvwnyL._SS40_.jpg
  • 41XRZAp-kVL._SS40_.jpg
  • 5118FrXP8%2BL._SS40_.jpg

Roll over image to zoom in

Kenley Fermentation Carboy Heater with Thermostat - Kombucha Heating Kit - Home Brewing Heat Strip Belt Wrap Mat Brew Warmer Warming Pad with Temperature Controller - Works with any Vessel up to 8 Gal
That looks like a lot better piece of kit than what I had. I was using a 'brew belt' that adjusts by slipping through a loop. As it was too big part of it got doubled over and I think that was how it overheated itself. I know lots of people leave them unattended I'm just ultra careful now but as I said I may have not used it properly. I think that set up should be fine as it has a thermostat. Sorry if I alarmed you just want to make sure you thought about how it all gets set up.

That looks like a lot better piece of kit than what I had. I was using a 'brew belt' that adjusts by slipping through a loop. As it was too big part of it got doubled over and I think that was how it overheated itself. I know lots of people leave them unattended I'm just ultra careful now but as I said I may have not used it properly. I think that set up should be fine as it has a thermostat. Sorry if I alarmed you just want to make sure you thought about how it all gets set up.

No worries. Good to err on the side of caution. I put a space heater near the pail and raise the temperature from 58* to 70*. Because I didn’t trust the yeast in the pail I pitched some ec1118. It is now bubbling away. I hope it creates enough heat on its own to finish. I had a pail if Grenach right next to this one in the same environment and it was 70* fermenting away.

Latest posts

Back