Piquant Apple

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkisel

Reaction score
Piquant Apple... That's what I'm calling it...

My fourth (or is it now my fifth?) batch of apple wine from apple cider came out with a strong unpleasant tartness that wasn't in my previous batches - discovered after bottling with a taste test of some overage.What went wrong? Well, as I thought about it remembered that I had run out of acid blend and with this batch substituted with lemon juice. Failed! [Think now I also forgot to add my usual 2 cans of apple juice concentrate when I first back sweetened.]

What do I do to rescue this I thought to myself. Added almost a teaspoon of sugar to a single glass of wine and had my wife give it a taste try. She said it now tasted better. Likewise for myself. So 4 cans of frozen apple juice concentrate was added to the 6 gallon batch and re-bottled. What I have now is, to me, an interesting tarty tasting apple wine. I was going to simply call the wine tarty or zesty or sour apple but my wife suggested a use a French or German word for tartness... thus... Piquant Apple was born!

I'm sure most of you guys have been able to rescue a batch of wine that you first thought was destined for the sink drain. Tell me about it.

Latest posts

Back