Other Pinot noir white/pink

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xlev

Reaction score
Hi

I am interested in making a white or rose wine with pinot noir grapes. I have only just started with winemaking and have made a wine from a kit,and had ordered a new pinot noir kit (the normal red wine version).
I have recently had a white wine with pinot noir grapes which was amazing and I am wondering where could I get a hold of a kit,or a grape concentrate to make a pinot noir blanc or whatever you would call it?

Has anyone in here tried?

I think this might be close - WineExpert
http://pointbrewsupply.com/products-page/wine-ingredients-kits-varietal-juices/pinot-blanc-wine-kit/
Not a true Pinot Noir blanc. You probably need to take the PN grape and press before fermenation.
Yeah, Pinot Blanc is a different grape, but you can make a white from Pinot Noir grapes by pressing them very gently. There's a winery which makes 4 wines from their 100% Pinot Noir vineyard, a white, a rose, a red, and a sparkling wine. As soon as they see color in the pressed juice, they stop collecting for the white, and start collecting for the rose (and the sparkling wine), the bulk of their wine is the red which then ferments on all the remaining pomace (making for a bit bolder pinot noir due to increased pomace to juice ratio).

EDIT - found the winery, Kobus, and they may not be making/selling a sparkling yet (and suggest that the sparkling would also be done before any color is drawn, 'Vin Clairs' style. Kobus Estate Wines - Home

Last edited:
Yeah, Pinot Blanc is a different grape, but you can make a white from Pinot Noir grapes by pressing them very gently. There's a winery which makes 4 wines from their 100% Pinot Noir vineyard, a white, a rose, a red, and a sparkling wine. As soon as they see color in the pressed juice, they stop collecting for the white, and start collecting for the rose (and the sparkling wine), the bulk of their wine is the red which then ferments on all the remaining pomace (making for a bit bolder pinot noir due to increased pomace to juice ratio).
Yep. I edited because as I read more of the description, I figured out it wasn't PN.

I'm afraid fresh grapes are the only way. Though it seems the market is open for a PN Blanc kit!

Call me silly, but wouldn't an "American White Zin" be similar?
Similar process of pressing red grapes lightly. However, "white" zin is usually pink, and really a rose versus the truly white pinot noir. And of course nearly all white zin makers make an off dry or sweet finished product using the cheapest zinfandel they can get. Though I will say that the popularity of "white zin" many years ago (before Zin came back into fashion) did save many old vine zin plantings from being ripped out and replaced with more trendy vines, and many of those are now used to make good old vine red zin bottlings.

Folks making white pinot noir are usually making serious, dry, and expensive wines (and at the same time making their red pinot noir more concentrated given the extra pomace to liquid ratio). Here's a picture of the Kobus "Blanc de Noir" 1669870534531.png

Here is the wikipedia on white zin: "White Zinfandelis an off-dry to sweet rosé wine, which was invented by Sutter Home Family Vineyards winemaker Bob Trinchero in 1975." And here are the first white zin images which come up which to me confirm it is really a rose zin:
1669870371089.png1669870417636.png
1669870315296.png

Attachments

• 1669870395580.png
    1669870395580.png
    51.7 KB · Views: 0
Thank you for your replies guys,I appreciate it. Is there any chance to get a hold on juice concentrate somewhere you think?
What are the usual places you guys buy grape concentrate from?

Latest posts

Back