Pinot Noir Too Sweat?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yppaul

Junior
Reaction score
Hello!

I recently completed the Pinot Noir MV Kit. When the wine finished fermenting it was at 0.992 so I assumed it would be dry. Even though the wine is very young (<1 month); I tried it so I could see how it would change over time.

It feels like the wine is sweat though. Is that because it is young? I would assume a wine at 0.992 per my hydrometer would be very dry. Did I mess up something?

Any help and guidance would be much appreciated.

Thank you for your time and support.

That's interesting, it shouldn't be sweet at .992. Have you calibrated your hydrometer to see if it's accurate? If not, fill your test tube up with 68 degree water and see what the hydrometer says about it. It should be 1.000. Anything else and you would know what's it off by and you just add or subtract the difference when you use it on wine.

in my experience the sweetness won't go away as the wine gets older. Did you thoroughly stir the juice and water together to make sure you mixed it up well and don't have some separation of juice and water?

Good luck.

I'm no expert, but I think there may be other factors affecting perception of sweetness besides just sugar.

Yeast naturally produces some glycerol which can add sweetness. There are certain factors (higher temps, SO2, higher pH, N source) which can cause the yeast to produce more glycerol.

Lower pH gets balanced by more sugar, and the converse is true as well. So if the pH of the wine is pretty high, that might contribute to a perception of sweetness. Also I think wines taste sweeter when they are warmer. Chill the wine, and it might not taste so sweet.

There are probably some other factors. Just last night I sampled a blackberry/elderberry blush wine I made, and it tasted very nice, but a little sweet to me. I had to check my records to confirm that I had not backsweetened it. The pH was 3.32 and SG 0.992. It's getting bottled later today!

That's interesting, it shouldn't be sweet at .992. Have you calibrated your hydrometer to see if it's accurate? If not, fill your test tube up with 68 degree water and see what the hydrometer says about it. It should be 1.000. Anything else and you would know what's it off by and you just add or subtract the difference when you use it on wine.

I would add, check your hydrometer. Some are calibrated at 60F instead of 68F. It should tell you which, though it will be very fine print.

Latest posts

Back