Pinot Noir Rose versus Pinot Noir Shiraz Rose Blend

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newlyretired

Reaction score
Let me start off by say thanking you to everyone, I am recently retired and decided to get back into wine maker and this forum is an excellent resource. I finished a nice Piesporter and the results exceed expectations.

Both my wife and I enjoy the Pinot Noir Grape especially in a Rose.

In my research I was able to find 1 kit of Pinot Noir Rose at a cost of $165 CDN from Chile, all the rests of the kits are blended Pinot Noir Rose with Shiraz. The blended kits are about $35CDN less in cost.

I am wondering, will the Shiraz in the blended kits over power the Pinot Noir grape or will the Pinot Noir taste remain dominant? Not a big fan of a Shiraz

I have a friend who is fond of rosés but I'm loath to buy a whole kit just to have a bottle or three available for my friend. I've read that a blush can be made from any red wine variety as long as the grape skins are removed from the must early on.
I'm guessing that red wine grapes are used exclusively because their skins bleed red. This isn't possible with a kit that comes with a fully the colour in place.
I'm about to start Gewurtztraminer and Chardonnay kits that I'm familiar with and I'm thinking about diverting a gallon from each and marrying them with red grape skins so I have a gallon of relatively dry rosé and another of sweeter rosé.
I was wondering if anyone has tried making a rosé from a white wine kit by adding grape skins during part of the first ferment. If so, how long should I keep the skins in my primary fermenter and is there a foolproof way to ensure all the skins have been removed (I usually use a cheesecloth bag). I could also use a 200 micron filter bag or siphon the first ferment in progress into another fermentation bucket.
Another idea is to mash some black table grapes, remove most of the juice, and then heat the skins and remaining pulp to make a very dark purple grape juice that I've consumed as a breakfast drink in the past. The juice isn't very sweet but it has an extremely concentrated colour. Any thoughts, words of caution?

the easiest method is ferment out a white and red wine kit and blend using bench trials. can tune both the color and taste to your desire with this method.

Blending reds and whites might make an interesting ersatz rosé but it does not yield a true rosé.

Some Italian vineyards were blending a red and white a couple of years ago. Created a scandal resulting in a French law outlawing calling it Rose`. Probably some French/Italian wine rivalry played into it....

Latest posts

Back