Pinot Noir Fastferment for 1st Time

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wines aren't going to last more than a year, so I usually skip the Campden tabs at bottling. But if you will rack from carboy to bottling bucket instead of bottling from the carboy, they are easy to add to the bucket. And the bucket is easier to carry.

Do you add campden to the finished product? If so when is a good time to do it.
Not until it’s fully dry. That Sg of 1.015 means it’s still got a bit to go. Needs to finish below 1.000 to be considered dry. Normally lands at about .994-.998. Unfortunately that ball valve of sediment contained a lot of the active yeast making the final bit of sugar remaining more difficult to ferment.

noworries about Camden/sulphites yet at all. There’s plenty of co2 built up in there from fermenting to protect it for now. Main thing you wanna do is get this thing dry. Typically juice pails run dry in a week but slower ferments are not uncommon. Multiple factors play into it - but the active yeast being removed likely is the reason. Others may have different advice —- but my recommendation is to monitor that SG daily or 2x daily. If you see it dropping then just let it keep going till dry. If stuck at 1.015 then adding in some more yeast- a strong yeast like EC-1118 might be able to finish it off. Stuck too low abv is too high for yeast to be able to ferment residual sugar. You are close at 1.015. Keep that ball valve closed, stir it up daily, make sure temps are at or above room temp, monitor Sg, and let’s get that sucker dry!

If you do end up needing to add more yeast- you can add it in a way that will give it the best chance for success making a starter. Can cross that bridge later tho if it comes to it. Good luck

Not until it’s fully dry. That Sg of 1.015 means it’s still got a bit to go. Needs to finish below 1.000 to be considered dry. Normally lands at about .994-.998. Unfortunately that ball valve of sediment contained a lot of the active yeast making the final bit of sugar remaining more difficult to ferment.

noworries about Camden/sulphites yet at all. There’s plenty of co2 built up in there from fermenting to protect it for now. Main thing you wanna do is get this thing dry. Typically juice pails run dry in a week but slower ferments are not uncommon. Multiple factors play into it - but the active yeast being removed likely is the reason. Others may have different advice —- but my recommendation is to monitor that SG daily or 2x daily. If you see it dropping then just let it keep going till dry. If stuck at 1.015 then adding in some more yeast- a strong yeast like EC-1118 might be able to finish it off. Stuck too low abv is too high for yeast to be able to ferment residual sugar. You are close at 1.015. Keep that ball valve closed, stir it up daily, make sure temps are at or above room temp, monitor Sg, and let’s get that sucker dry!

If you do end up needing to add more yeast- you can add it in a way that will give it the best chance for success making a starter. Can cross that bridge later tho if it comes to it. Good luck
Thank you for the tips. Today is day 21 the SG barely moved, 1.013. Last week was 1.015, did what you recommended and closed the valve and hit it with the degasing wand on a drill for a short time. I will check SG in a couple of days and see if I woke anything up. If no movement, I will add more yeast. Thanks again.

Attachments

• 20201122_142844.jpg
    20201122_142844.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
Bit from left field, if ball contains yeast and sediment could you re-introduce into must and see if live yeast restarts fermentation, I have done this previously earlier but only to unblock base of FastFerment. It will drop out eventually?

My SG only went from 1.012 to 1.011 in 10 days. Should I add yeast and how much? I am 31 days in.

Transfer to a 6 gallon carboy to reduce the air exposure, but do not fill all the way into the neck. Use 2 quart jars if you have too much. Add a little yeast nutrient, stir, wait three days and read SG. If SG has not dropped, prepare and add a small yeast starter with a little juice from the quart jar(s). Once the SG is below 1.00, add the jars to fill the carboy.

Transfer to a 6 gallon carboy to reduce the air exposure, but do not fill all the way into the neck. Use 2 quart jars if you have too much. Add a little yeast nutrient, stir, wait three days and read SG. If SG has not dropped, prepare and add a small yeast starter with a little juice from the quart jar(s). Once the SG is below 1.00, add the jars to fill the carboy.
Thanks

I know you did not take an initial SG, but you haven't said what yeast initially and what you used to try the restart? Are they just not able to handle the amount of sugar in the juice?

Latest posts

Back