Pinot Grigio kit Advice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elmer

Reaction score
Going to make one last attempt at making a wine kit.
SWMBO is a fan of pinot grigio. She tends to gravitate towards Cavit,
which is about an $8 to $10 bottle.
I think the wine is semi dry with a gravity of 1.002 to 1.005,
different bottles has slightly different range.

I was going to try and make a kit and let it age. Since all my LHBS only
sell WineExpert, I would be making that brand.
In the past SWMBO has drank none of my wines made from kits. In her
defense I made all reds and heavy on the oak.
It took her time, but she has found herself to be a fan of pinot
grigio, served nicely chilled.
It should also be noted she also complained of "kit taste" in the wines.
While I have done some reading on the "kit taste", I am willing to
gamble with barrel aging or try a "no sorbate approach" to try and
limit "kit taste"

The dilemma I am facing, is spending $130 on a kit, putting time an
effort to make and age the wine, only to end up with a wine she may
not like.

I guess worst case scenario, I can hand them out next year as a gift.

Any thoughts or advise on pinot grigio kits or making pinot grigio?

In my humble opinion, whites from kits are MUCH closer to commercial than reds. No KT in whites, IME.

I have made the WE Eclipse Pinot Gris. Note that this is a "fatter" style than Pinot Grigio generally is. (They let the fruit ripen more.) But perhaps SWMBO would like that, too. If you are interested in testing this, you could get a commercial Pinot Gris, say from Oregon or Cline or KJ from Cali. (Generally, something vinted like Pinot Gris tends to be marketed in a Burgundy bottle rather than Bordeaux.)

I agree with Paul, the white kits are much closer to the "real thing", don't be afraid of them. I, too have done the WE Pinot Gris, though not a white wine drinker, folks who drank it liked it.

If you wanted to go a step further, you could consider trying a frozen white wine must from Brehm, pick one with good numbers and you may not have to do much acid work, if any. The buckets come with pressed and settled juice, so no work to do other than thaw and ferment. They usually have a sale on their whites in winter / spring, particularly the juice from prior vintages.

I've got a WE Selection Pinot Grigio going now. About 4 months in and it's cleared, racked, sulphited, and bulk aging. I let it sit 3 months on the lees and added a couple small packs (maybe 2-3 oz) of dried apricots as soon as I racked after AF. It's just sitting around in the carboy topped up now to see if it drops any more sediment or diamonds this winter. Might filter polish and bottle soon.

We're liking the WE Selection PG though. Pretty good. The Eclipse was also good but all gone now.

Cheers!
-johann

I’ve made this one twice. 1st one was very popular and disappeared fast. I agree with the others that the whites taste good quickly vs the reds. My wife still doesn’t like any of the reds I’ve made but she and others like this one. My first one I didn’t cold soak and ended up having tartrate crystals form. I had to explain this to my friends so I cold soaked the 2nd batch. I think you will enjoy this one so have no fear!

Picking up my Wine expert selection Pinot Grigio.
To those who have made it before, is this kit fine with not weeks?
Or would you suggest adding raisins, fruit, oak?????

keep it simple, abv.around 12%,add 1/2/ grapefruit ZEST in the primary then follow directions ,LESS IS MORE,. never fails..to produce a decent bottle of wine.

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 29
Old thread I know, but since my heart meds keep me from anything with grapefruit in it, would lemon zest work instead?

lets see if this helps............................

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 30
  • 5 (2).jpg
    5 (2).jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 29
  • pecorino 005.jpg
    pecorino 005.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 29
  • pecorino 008.jpg
    pecorino 008.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 29
  • pecorino 011.jpg
    pecorino 011.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 31
  • stuff 001.jpg
    stuff 001.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 30
  • stuff 002.jpg
    stuff 002.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 26
Old thread I know, but since my heart meds keep me from anything with grapefruit in it, would lemon zest work instead?

Thanks Joe, but as I said, I can't have anything with grapefruit in it, one of my heart medications will not work if I ingest grapefruit of any kind.

I've got a WE Selection Pinot Grigio going now. About 4 months in and it's cleared, racked, sulphited, and bulk aging. I let it sit 3 months on the lees and added a couple small packs (maybe 2-3 oz) of dried apricots as soon as I racked after AF. It's just sitting around in the carboy topped up now to see if it drops any more sediment or diamonds this winter. Might filter polish and bottle soon.

We're liking the WE Selection PG though. Pretty good. The Eclipse was also good but all gone now.

Cheers!
-johann

I like the idea of dried apricots, perhaps in late fermentation and secondary?

Yes they work they add a softness to the mix, done that before , good choice.
In the primary.

In my humble opinion, whites from kits are MUCH closer to commercial than reds. No KT in whites, IME.

I have made the WE Eclipse Pinot Gris. Note that this is a "fatter" style than Pinot Grigio generally is. (They let the fruit ripen more.) But perhaps SWMBO would like that, too. If you are interested in testing this, you could get a commercial Pinot Gris, say from Oregon or Cline or KJ from Cali. (Generally, something vinted like Pinot Gris tends to be marketed in a Burgundy bottle rather than Bordeaux.)
oh i'll rule the day for asking, but sour , what is meant by fatter?
yeah i know my head is like root beer,, thick,,,
Dawg

oh i'll rule the day for asking, but sour , what is meant by fatter?
yeah i know my head is like root beer,, thick,,,
Dawg

"Fatter" generally means: A bit less acidic, a little higher alcohol, a bit more body. The opposite is crisper, tarter, thinner, perhaps more refreshing...

Was going to try adding apricots, but then I remembered Wife doesn’t like apricots or peach!
Maybe will try the grapefruit zest or dried pears.
I have 3 gallons bulk aging and plenty of empty gallon and 1/2 gallon carboys.
I have a second kit on order as the first is still aging , wife contends it still tastes young.

Was going to try adding apricots, but then I remembered Wife doesn’t like apricots or peach!
Maybe will try the grapefruit zest or dried pears.
I have 3 gallons bulk aging and plenty of empty gallon and 1/2 gallon carboys.
I have a second kit on order as the first is still aging , wife contends it still tastes young.
WELL set her straight, ,, bow you head and say Absolutely Dear as always , You Are RIGHT, and i am so lucky to have you, and if you can muster up a tear, you'll be good,,,,,,, whew that was a close call for you,
Dawg

Latest posts

Back