Pinot Grigio 1.000-.998

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineview

Still waiting.........
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After one week the wine is at the above readings. I want to ferment it down a bit lower. The wine is in a chilly basement so I have a thermostat controlled belt on the bucket. I won’t be back to the house for another week. Any reasons not to leave it in the primary bucket until next week and rack then?

After one week the wine is at the above readings. I want to ferment it down a bit lower. The wine is in a chilly basement so I have a thermostat controlled belt on the bucket. I won’t be back to the house for another week. Any reasons not to leave it in the primary bucket until next week and rack then?

Can't you install an airlock On the bucket? I drilled out all my buckets for this reason.

Of course I could. But I’m not concerned about infection. I wanted to know if there might be off flavors if I left it on the lees to long.
How long total have you left it in the primary? If it's 3 weeks total I'm sure it will be fine. Sorry I just didn't see a whole lot of information on the thread so I thought you were concerned about infection.

How long total have you left it in the primary? If it's 3 weeks total I'm sure it will be fine. Sorry I just didn't see a whole lot of information on the thread so I thought you were concerned about infection.

One week so far. Going into second week

One week so far. Going into second week
Yeah that's 100% fine, I've had a savignon blanc in the primary for 3 weeks and it was fine. I just racked an Amarone after 14 days in the primary, where I left the skins in, its also fine. The yeast won't decompose that fast.

Yeah that's 100% fine, I've had a savignon blanc in the primary for 3 weeks and it was fine. I just racked an Amarone after 14 days in the primary, where I left the skins in, its also fine. The yeast won't decompose that fast.

Thanks. Sounds good.

Latest posts

Back