Pinot clone help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hefte

Junior
Reaction score
Hi,
We are going to plant a variety of pinot clones on a west facing slope on our property in the Willamette Valley. I have questions about percentages of clones that work well together and whether or not they can be grown on different rootstock. I'd like to grow 115, 667, and 777 but the 115 is on RG and the other two are on 3309. Does anyone know if I'll have issues growing both at the same site? Also, is anyone aware of a standard ratio of the three? I am only planting 24 vines so my last question is whether they need to be fermented separately or whether they can be mixed at harvest? It's daunting trying to Google this stuff and any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I cannot help you with your specific question. I will say that I got two bins (1,000 pounds each) of two different clones of Syrah, grown right next to each other. They were fermented separately and post-ferment tasted very different. In the end, the best tasting wine were the two combined.

Clones will differ not only in wine quality but also in their cluster form where some forms may be better suited for some climates and conditions than others (which may affect growing factors and management, which again affect wine quality, so it can be a bit circular).

The area you grow will, or rather should, indicate which clones will do best in your area.

Root stock will affect the form and quality of the vine. That is some root stock may create more compact vines, which may require closer spacing, which may mean less yield per vine, (or might not see below**). And different root stocks also are better suited for different soils and other environmental conditions, such as some root stocks are better for sandy soils, and others are better with clay, or loam, etc.

If you are buying your clones from a local supplier, which I recommend, then I would simply ask them what is the best root stock given your soil type (and you should do a basic soil survey IMHO before planting). And try some wine from different clones from your region to see what clones make the wine you like the best. Local knowledge is better than Internet noise.

**For example, from wine-grape-growing.com

Couderc 3309 (3309C)

Couderc 3309 imparts low to moderate vigor to grafted vines and is a good candidate for high density plantings. Like other rootstocks in this group, it is thought to ripen fruit early. Vines on this rootstock tend to overcrop and have a high yield-to-pruning ratio. The high fruitfulness it induces may require crop adjustment.

Latest posts

Back