WineXpert Pinot Blanc

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildSeedGrrrl

Reaction score
Finally got around to starting the Pinot Blanc kit. It's bubbling away and I can't smell a thing, which is a good thing I suppose. What I'm confused about is why I have to add bentonite to the water before I added the juice. I thought you use it as a fining agent, so why would add it before it even began fermenting?

This is the second kit wine I've made so far. I'm hoping to make more.

wsg

The bentonite attracts the particles in the wine.. it's basically a clay. When you add it at the outset, the fermentation of the wine churns the wine up a lot.. mixing the bentonite through .. and as it goes.. it collects particles.. so when the fermentation slows the the heavier stuff sinks with the bentonite.. and it clears faster. Which is why you can get the kit made rapidly and cleared and bottled in a short time according to their instructions..

Allie

Yep Yep just make sure its mixed and not "clumpy" I use a whisk and add it to HOT water.

thanks allie. that makes perfect sense. yeah one of the reasons i decided to try a kit white was because it was suppose to be drink ready faster, and summer is sangria season.
wsg

Oh my! I see you have THREE empty primaries. Gotta do something about that LOL :)

yep. I want to make a melomel but I'm not sure what kind. I'm going to head to the farmers market this weekend maybe, I think rhubarb is in season. I'm on a wine budget and I'm trying to be really good this month and not blow the whole budget by the 2nd week.

I think i want to try a fruit wine that's more white wine and that chili pepper wine recipe of Allie's sparking curiousity.

WSG, I'm going to check SG and taste the chili wine on saturday, Will update that chili post then with the verdict. ( hopefully it hasn't heated up again) Have been looking at doing the Lum Eisenmann berry port recipe next, in the recipe section myself.

Allie

Pinot Blanc Update

I transfered the Pinot Blanc from the primary to the secondary last Monday, and it's fermenting away steadily. It hasn't slowed down enough for me to take reliable readings for 3 days in a row. I'm thinking it might be because the house has cooled down since it's spring and I don't have my heat turned up to 70. I'll keep ya posted

This kit turned out much better than I expected. I ended up with abotu 26 bottles but two of those were those really big wine bottles. I was able to use all recycled bottles so I haven't had to add the expense of buying new bottles for wine.

i can't wait to try different kits, Wine Expert fits my budget.

Pinot Blanc Taste?

Just joined the forum and noticed you did a Pinot Blanc in 2009. I just bottled the same (my first wine kit) last weekend. There was a lot of good aroma but not a great amount of taste. should I be concerned that this is how the wine will turn out after 3-6 months or does it develop flavor as time goes on? Thanks, Jay

Latest posts

Back