Pineapple wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Racked pineapple wine into a clean and sanitized one gallon carboy, initial SG was 1.072 and it’s now at 1.002. If I’ve calculate this correctly, I have 9.17% ABV. Is this right? (1.072-1.002)x131=9.17%ABV/QUOTE]\

Save yourself some trouble and bookmark this site. Quick and easy ABV calculator. Enter starting SG current SG and Click "Update" and you have your ABV. (Along with some numbers you don't want to worry about - Calories per 12 oz)

I can clearly see the advantage to using a bucket. I am quit new and curious so I have been mixing up 4 or 5 gal of juice in a bucket then transfering it to 4 or 5, 1-gal carboys and using a different yeast in each. Maybe a waste of yeast but it allows me to compare to see what i like best. I think the Lalvin 1118 is becoming my all around favorite.

Racked into another jug and checked SG. 0.998 giving me a finished ABV of 9.7%. Added 1/2 Campden tablet, a 1/2 tsp of Potassium Sorbate and degassed. I will back-sweeten when it clears.

Funny, I started this wine a week after my apple wine and the apple is still fermenting.

By comparison, my last batch of Apple wine just finished fermenting this past week after 10 days. I've had Blueberry wine ferment dry dry (.990) in less than 72 hours - Yeah, freaky fast.

I can clearly see the advantage to using a bucket. I am quit new and curious so I have been mixing up 4 or 5 gal of juice in a bucket then transfering it to 4 or 5, 1-gal carboys and using a different yeast in each. Maybe a waste of yeast but it allows me to compare to see what i like best. I think the Lalvin 1118 is becoming my all around favorite.
Nope, that's experimentation. It's certainly not a waste! Gallon batches are good for experimentation -- if things go badly, you haven't lost much. OTOH, if things go really well ... you only have 5 bottles. :)

Use a bucket for primary fermentation. In addition to avoiding a mess, initial fermentation wants oxygen that it won't get in sealed container. When the SG gets below 1.010, rack it into a jug or carboy. While you only need a few inches of head space most of the time, more head space is safer. I've had a few overly vigorous fermentations that made a mess in a bucket I thought large enough.

1118 will ferment a rock if given the chance. It's not a bad idea to keep a packet on hand if you're playing with other yeasts. It seems to be the go-to yeast for restarting stuck fermentation.

Nope, that's experimentation. It's certainly not a waste! Gallon batches are good for experimentation -- if things go badly, you haven't lost much. OTOH, if things go really well ... you only have 5 bottles. :)

Use a bucket for primary fermentation. In addition to avoiding a mess, initial fermentation wants oxygen that it won't get in sealed container. When the SG gets below 1.010, rack it into a jug or carboy. While you only need a few inches of head space most of the time, more head space is safer. I've had a few overly vigorous fermentations that made a mess in a bucket I thought large enough.

1118 will ferment a rock if given the chance. It's not a bad idea to keep a packet on hand if you're playing with other yeasts. It seems to be the go-to yeast for restarting stuck fermentation.

Yes I have had a few 1 gal jugs that would not start and wondered if it was due to a lack of oxygen or not enough nutrient. Did a Pineapple-Orange with 4-1 gal jugs. D-47, MA-33, 1118 and Montrachet and only the 1118 would start without help. Thanks for the info!

I guess If I use a 6 gallon bucket for a 1 gallon batch, I will be safe, lol.

For 1 gallon batches I just use a 12 qt stock pot or our 8 qt pasta pot an cover with a towel and wrap with kitchen string to keep the critters out.
I don't like to do a primary fermentation in a carboy because it will turn into a volcano if it's to close to the top.

You can purchase food grade 2 gallon buckets from most wine supply sites. Haven't looked on the local market but I have two 2 gallon buckets and 2 5 gallon buckets that work great for my 1 gallon and 3 gallon batches. Haven't progressed to larger batches yet. AND those 3 gallon carboys are still manageable in terms of lifting while full and cleaning.

Agree that fermenting in a carboy, unless it's a 2 gallon batch in a 3 gallon carboy, is just too risky. A cloth cover over a bucket does a great job of suppressing the foam and keeping everything in the bucket even with a crazy foamy fermentation.

I’d like to bottle my lemonade tonight, is there something I can buy in the way of carbonation tablets at my local brew shop?

There’s an idea, lmao!

Since I already added sorbate, I guess I will have to carbonate before drinking with a soda stream.

Old school Soda Stream works pretty well. You can carb bottle by bottle (quickly pour back into your wine bottle) and then cap it or cork it. Instant results.

I’d like to bottle my lemonade tonight, is there something I can buy in the way of carbonation tablets at my local brew shop?

Back