Pineapple wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After much experimenting I use a ratio of the following: 1/3 amount pineapple, 1/3 limes (zest and juice) and 1/3 bananas (frozen first). I basically just combine standard (found on this forum) recipes of the above 3 fruits.

This is the best white wine I have made thus far! The pineapple is the strongest flavor, so I call it pineapple. But the lime gives it a nice edge. The banana gives it a bit more body. It is dry (of course some like it sweeter) and refreshing - very similar to pino-grigio. I will sometimes add a little pineapple extract just to enhance the bouquet without sweetening.

Just thought I would share....

I know I am being a pain on this subject but my wife is allergic to bananas. We have a fruit here in Costa Rica called Nance. Please check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byrsonima_crassifolia and give me your opinion as using this fruit for a substitute for bananas or white grapes?
Wow that looks similiar to a fruit that we call "Vai`Vee" a combo taste of orange/ tangy peach flavor.... If its somewhat tangy as well, I though of using some honey to knock it back some. Difficult to compare to banana.

Looks like what they call here a "Hog Plum" but very similar and I imagine the same thing. I was going to try a wine just form these but the pit is so large it doesn't seem worth it!

Hi Mark, I looked hog plums up on the Internet and no this is not what Nance is. Like I said, they are just cherry sized.

I know this thread is a bit old, but I just joined and it's of interest to me on a couple of levels.

"Hog plums" in Costa Rica (and most of Central America) are called Mombin. I can't determine anything in nance (nanzi) that has any similar properties to banana. I think I might consider papaya as it's very readily available an has a similar starchy and high fiber content to bananas... Just thinking out loud.

If one were wanting to ferment pineapple without flavor being a primary consideration (that being % of alcohol), what would he/she do to maximize the alcohol?

This is a great forum! I'm really looking forward to experimenting with a lot of tropical fruits soon!

Bill

Hi Bill,

Welcome to the forum. When you get a moment could you go to the introductions thread and tell us a bit about yourself and if you make wine at this time. You seem to know a lot about fruit and I look forward to hearing more from you. If you are from the NE part of Ohio we have a small group of folks from Lake Erie to Pittsburgh that get together occasionally.

1st WELCOME,

Fruit wines should be no higher than 1.085 starting gravity. Any higher the alcohol will mask the fruit flavor. Shoot for 5-7#'s of fruit per gallon.

Don't know about you, but I had to use closer to 12 pounds sugar to get the 1.085

Aloha,
This year the pineapple crop seemed a lot sweeter naturally than other years depending on numerous factors, one being the natural rainfall which seemed to kick the color and sweeter crop. Just like bananas and other fruits grown in different venues.....got'ta adjust what must.

Aloha,
This year the pineapple crop seemed a lot sweeter naturally than other years depending on numerous factors, one being the natural rainfall which seemed to kick the color and sweeter crop. Just like bananas and other fruits grown in different venues.....got'ta adjust what must.

So you're saying if we could get fresh pineapples it would be an excellent year for making wine with the high sugar content?

Aloha,

The pineapples I used were from Costa Rica, those must be lower in sugar.

Aloha,
I am speaking for us here in Hawaii as far as a good crop year. This year has been a very good year for crop color, sweetness/natural sugar. Some years past we have noticed that the color vs. sweetnesss has been less. Not necessarily your area will be rated the same.
I think that the main thing here is to use primarily fresh fruit if availalble. Yet canned fruit juice works just as well however one must add the necessary sugars up. Canned juice just as well...if you can get the "Dole" brand this year, buy it all up! If you could obtain natural sugar vs. processed white sugar, I believe that one can almost obtain the natural flavors vs. using the processed white blend sugars.
In either case, you gotta sugar up tour target, prefer 1085. You'll loose the flavor in the long term aging if you target for a high rating......:( forget the high, just drink more in that wonderful flavor.! :)

If anyone wants the "Hawaiian Raw sugar," just email me if you're willing to pay the shipping and cost for raw sugar and I'' send you the pounds you need on a personnal basis.

Wade, I also am not able to get white rape concentrate. Could I use white grape juice and if so, how much would you recommend. If this doesn't work, would 2 lbs. of white raisins be enough? Thanks.

Wiz,

Not sure if you are still monitoring this forum. I have seen some recommendations for making your own concentrate (I think it was Wade) where you take 2 quarts of juice and boil it down (simmer) to about 1/3 of your starting volume and then sweeten with that. It sounded like you could get white grape juice but were looking for concentrate.

:ot: I am kinda interested what some of your fruits taste like and what kind of wines/meads they would make. could be something very unique and interesting:ot:

I am at dryness now, ready to stabilize and back-sweeten. I have approx. 2 1/2 gal of product. I am splitting the two. One will be straight pineapple, the other with be a pineapple/mango or passion fruit blend in the secondary. I am thinking of just adding mango/passion juice with sugar to taste level. I plan on doing that to the pineapple too, just adding another can of pineapple juice with sugar to taste level. Does anyone think that would be too much flavor? Or just sweeten with sugar and exsisting wine to taste? I will of course stabilize before that.:n

Pinneaple wine- beginner!

Not sure what Wade would say but, If you are looknig for body then use raisins. I get mint from Sams Club 9the 2-pac) I add 2 1/2#to the primary. Today I bottled my Pineapple that I started last year. I did not ad any concentrate. I'm surprised that your grocery store dont carry white grape (frozen) concentrate

Hi Tom,
Thank you for all your insights. I'm getting ready for my FIRST try, just got the kit and started to put it together.
Question: On the Pinneaple recipe listed here, they used chunks/fruit but I already extracted the juice from the pinneaple.
What will be my juice measure for the 6gl recipe?
Thank you - Mani, VA

Wow! Does that happen everytime you make Pineapple wine Leanne? First time I heard of it....
We use the 100% juice canned in Hawaii to make the wine. Getting a sweet tasting pineapple donated to the wine room would cause for dissension among the troops! Even more so if it was one from the white variety.

Hi MauiJoe,
I'm too using the juice, extracted from the pinneaple and canned juice as well, but not sure about the measurement for the recipe.
Can you help me with that? Using a 6Gl bottle.
Thank you,
Mani-VA

Back