Pineapple wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
6 Gallon recipe
18 lbs – Cored, Skinned, and Diced Pineapples
8 lbs – White Table Sugar
¼ tsp – K-Meta
6 tsp – Yeast Nutrient
3 tsp – Yeast Energizer
¼ tsp – Liquid Pectic Enzyme
1 tsp - Ascorbic Acid
1 - White Grape Concentrate
1 Sachet – Red Star Pasteur Red
4 ½ Gallons – Water
Pour 1 gallon of warm water in a 7.9 gallon primary bucket or bigger.
Add K-meta, Yeast Energizer, Yeast Nutrient, Grape Concentrate, and Ascorbic Acid and stir well. Put all fruit in fermenting bag and squeeze over primary to extract most of juices and then put bag in primary. Pour the 1 gallon of boiling water with all dissolved sugar over fruit. Fill the rest of the way with remainder of room temp water and check SG, it should have a SG of around 1.085 give or take a little, if more then add a little more water, if less then add a little more dissolved sugar in small amount of water as sugars from fruit can vary a little. Let sit for 12 hours with lid loose or with a cloth covering bucket with elastic band or string tied around so as that not to sag in must. After those 12 hours add your Pectic Enzyme and wait another 12 hours while also adjusting your must temp to around 75 degrees. After those twelve hours, pitch your yeast either by sprinkling yeast, dehydrating yeast per instructions on back of yeast Sachet, or by making a yeast starter a few hours prior to the 12 hour mark. At this point either leave primary lid off with the cloth again, place lid on loose or snap the lid shut with airlock. Punch down cap twice daily to get all fruit under the liquid level. When SG reaches 1.015, rack to 6 gallon carboy and let finish fermenting with bung and airlock attached. When wine is done fermenting, (check a few days in a row to make sure SG does not change and SG should be around .998 or less) you can stabilize by adding another ¼ tsp of k-meta and 3 tsps of Potassium Sorbate and degas your wine thoroughly. You can now sweeten your wine if you like by using simple syrup which consists of 2 cups of sugar and 1 cup of boiling water or by using a juice or frozen concentrate. I typically take 2 quarts of an alike juice and simmer on stove at medium heat with lid off until its 1/3 its original size and let it cool to room temp and then add slowly to taste. Be careful not to over sweeten. At this point you can use a fining agent or let it clear naturally. Once clear, rack into clean vessel and bulk age more adding another ¼ tsp of k-meta at 3 month intervals or add ¼ tsp k-meta and bottle age for at least 3 months and enjoy. Longer aging will give you a better wine so save a few bottles till at least 1 year mark so you can truly see what this wine can aspire to.

Last edited:
substitution/ ingredient questions

Hi Wade
I would love to try this recipe, but have a few questions as I am lacking some of the ingredients.

How about substituting apple juice for white grape?
I only have acid blend, not the individual acids - will this work (or is the pineapple too high in citric acid)

Thanks
-Jean

The apple juice does not have the body needed and thats why most use grape concentrate. You could use some golden raisons instaed or some banana. The acid blend ill work fine.

Thanks

Thanks so much Wade! I will give it a go - think the banana will be great with the pineapple :)

What is it with pineapple? I have used it often in winemaking and love it but I wish I could make it in a self cleaning room. :) I have had it spraying the ceiling! What causes this?

6 Gallon recipe
18 lbs – Cored, Skinned, and Diced Pineapples
8 lbs – White Table Sugar
¼ tsp – K-Meta
6 tsp – Yeast Nutrient
3 tsp – Yeast Energizer
¼ tsp – Liquid Pectic Enzyme
1 tsp - Ascorbic Acid
1 - White Grape Concentrate
1 Sachet – Red Star Pasteur Red
5 ½ Gallons – Water
Pour 1 gallon of warm water in a 7.9 gallon primary bucket or bigger.
Add K-meta, Yeast Energizer, Yeast Nutrient, Grape Concentrate, and Ascorbic Acid and stir well. Put all fruit in fermenting bag and squeeze over primary to extract most of juices and then put bag in primary. Pour the 1 gallon of boiling water with all dissolved sugar over fruit. Fill the rest of the way with remainder of room temp water and check SG, it should have a SG of around 1.085 give or take a little, if more then add a little more water, if less then add a little more dissolved sugar in small amount of water as sugars from fruit can vary a little. Let sit for 12 hours with lid loose or with a cloth covering bucket with elastic band or string tied around so as that not to sag in must. After those 12 hours add your Pectic Enzyme and wait another 12 hours while also adjusting your must temp to around 75 degrees. After those twelve hours, pitch your yeast either by sprinkling yeast, dehydrating yeast per instructions on back of yeast Sachet, or by making a yeast starter a few hours prior to the 12 hour mark. At this point either leave primary lid off with the cloth again, place lid on loose or snap the lid shut with airlock. Punch down cap twice daily to get all fruit under the liquid level. When SG reaches 1.015, rack to 6 gallon carboy and let finish fermenting with bung and airlock attached. When wine is done fermenting, (check a few days in a row to make sure SG does not change and SG should be around .998 or less) you can stabilize by adding another ¼ tsp of k-meta and 3 tsps of Potassium Sorbate and degas your wine thoroughly. You can now sweeten your wine if you like by using simple syrup which consists of 2 cups of sugar and 1 cup of boiling water or by using a juice or frozen concentrate. I typically take 2 quarts of an alike juice and simmer on stove at medium heat with lid off until its 1/3 its original size and let it cool to room temp and then add slowly to taste. Be careful not to over sweeten. At this point you can use a fining agent or let it clear naturally. Once clear, rack into clean vessel and bulk age more adding another ¼ tsp of k-meta at 3 month intervals or add ¼ tsp k-meta and bottle age for at least 3 months and enjoy. Longer aging will give you a better wine so save a few bottles till at least 1 year mark so you can truly see what this wine can aspire to.

I heard about the Pineapple wine but I haven’t tasted it before. Thanks for providing the details about pineapple wine.

Wow! Does that happen everytime you make Pineapple wine Leanne? First time I heard of it....
We use the 100% juice canned in Hawaii to make the wine. Getting a sweet tasting pineapple donated to the wine room would cause for dissension among the troops! Even more so if it was one from the white variety.

I thought it was great and so did everyone else as it never did get any age on it, another batch Ill have to make again and hide some this time, I think the oldest bottle was only 5 months old and was fabulous sweetened to 1.010.

Well that's great Wade...Pineapple wine just gets better in time. I have a one (1) gal. test jug and just taking notes on it. It's over 2 years old and every six months or so I check/taste...I think it reached its peak..I should consume it before it starts the downhill slide.

Any explosions doing Pineapple wine Wade?

Wade, I also am not able to get white rape concentrate. Could I use white grape juice and if so, how much would you recommend. If this doesn't work, would 2 lbs. of white raisins be enough? Thanks.

I just went to the store and found out I also can't get white raisins. If the white grape juice won't work, what else could I add?

Not sure what Wade would say but, If you are looknig for body then use raisins. I get mint from Sams Club 9the 2-pac) I add 2 1/2#to the primary. Today I bottled my Pineapple that I started last year. I did not ad any concentrate. I'm surprised that your grocery store dont carry white grape (frozen) concentrate

I live in Costa Rica and it is surprising what we have to do without or substitute for what we could purchase anywhere in the U.S. For example, we can't buy a corned beef here so we make our own. Couldn't even buy pickling spice here and had to make that. Any suggestions for a substitute for golden raisins?

If you want body then make Banana Soup. I bet there are plenty there.

Are you able to get any bottled (white) grape juice "ready to drink" at the store? If so, you might have a chance at fermenting but its tough depending on the contents. Usually, some of our health food stores will carry a "short shelf life" juice that is naturally processed without added chemicals etc. but they too are rarely available.
To me, using a heavy amount of "white raisins" or "bananas" will surely impart a diffrent wine. But both additions do help greatly as stated earlier.

One hundred percent of pineapple juice alone I found it tough to produce an enjoyable wine. Of course it all differs depending on the quality of the crop, natural sweetness, etc. Being that you're unable to obtain the necessaries locally, I would then suggest bringing in the base from another source maybe...and also try a small batch of "all juice" so that you get a better picture of learning what is missing when altering the basic recipes. Even in our star fruit, banana, passion fruit and other avaiable fruits do better in balance of natural grape.
Hope this helps some!

I made a pineapple wine and it taste nasty. Its only 3 months old, I hope it gets better with age.

1st Banana will NOT impart and off flavor to your wine. It will add "body" mouthfeel.

I use a min of 1+# per gallon. I make a banana soup and add the juice.

Put banana in a put with "some water" simmer till banana gets real mushy. Strain thru a kitchen strainer and add to primary. Toss pulp.

Latest posts

Back