Pineapple Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsmahoney

Reaction score
Once again after several months I attempt to smell the roses/wine and come back and say hello to all my wine sipping friends.

I thought I'd add to Wades little episode of the blown off cork. I too had an episode of the cork explosion.

I followed PolishWineP recipe for Pineapple wine, and let me tell you it was good! What I got out of it anyway!

Being away from home more than I'd like my wine hobby has been slack. But, back in October 2007 I started this pineapple wine. After racking it every 2-3 months I finally sweetened andbottle it May 26th 2008. As like wade, I forgot to stabilize it. So, June 12th as i attempted to seek out a nice bottle of wine in my wine room I thought the room smelled very sweet, but nice, and as I stepped onto the carpet finding it wet. The corks blew across the room andthe wine hadblown to the other side of the room 12 ft. WOW! So, looking as like Wade for the open bottle I found four of the five bottles with blown corks. What a sticky mess to clean; the fifth bottle I took into the kitchen to take care of later. Later being after the clean up job in the wine room. Company showed up and the bottle was forgotten. The next day I found the cork blown and the amount left in the bottle was less than 1/2 cup. Although the day before the cork was below the rim of the bottle, I just can't imagine the pressure behind that explosion.

So, always make sure you stabilize before bottling. I will make this wine again, and this time I will make sure to stablilize it along with all my wines!

smiley13.gif
I feel your pain! Carpet huh, that must have been a mess.

Hope you get to make this wine again as pineapple wine is sooo good.
smiley4.gif

Oh dear!
smiley9.gif
I saw my name and thought, "I'm part of this mess!" We have a friend who cleans carpets if you need to give him a call...
That's really too bad about the waste and mess. But do try it again, this time with stablizers!

Back