Pineapple Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wiz

Reaction score
Opened another bottle of semi dry after 8 months and it tasted just like it did after 6 months. Good pineapple aroma and very clear but it definitely has a taste of a not so good flavor. Don't think if I would make another batch.

I too have made a pineapple wine. I made mine from canned fruit that was on sale. Like yours, it has good aroma, but, while drinkable, it isn't all that flavorful. I left it dry. Mind you, it's not offensive, it's just kind of blah.

I was contemplating making some pineapple, due to the abundance of fresh pineapple in our region. I bought a bottle of pineapple wine that had been made by a professional winery here in the state. It was just OK at best. I'm sure it was made correctly, but pineapple is just not a flavor I find attrractive in a wine. Just my $.02.

I also made some from crushed pinapple in the can, think it was Walmart brand. Not that good, is still very young, but doubt that time is going to help it. You gotta experiment though. I only made a gallon so not much of a loss. Also tried the mandarin orange, am hoping like the pinapple that it improves by Christmas. Loren

I have 12 gallons of pineapple that is aging. Throughout the entire process it smelled terrific. We'll see how it turns out. Gonna let it age a few more months. I'll try to remember to let you know how it turns out.

I've have also made a pineapple wine that is three months old the last time I tried it I thought it was coming along pretty good the one thing that I might have done different from the rest of you is that I didn't use straight water to top up my carboy I went to the frozen section and pick up some pineapple concentrate and mixed up to use for topping up my carboy

I currently have my latest attempt in secondary. Taste is a little off, but it still has quite a bit of suspended solids so not too worried about that at this point. I had a number of people asking if I was going to make some more, and I wanted to see if I could get a better tasting batch so...

Notably though, I had to add an additional 3 tsp. of acid blend to achieve good TA and PH levels. I was worried by that but I have checked both twice after fermenting stopped / degassed, and the numbers are holding steady at 7% and 3.2 respectively.

I've made Pineapple myself in the past, and I agree with what most of you have said. Having said that, I think Pineapple comes into its own when used as a secondary ingredient in other white recipes in the same way that raisins are used.

Regards to all, Winemanden. :h

OK here's what I did.
1st use fresh pineapples
2nd ferment dry
3rd make f-pac w/ 2-3 cans frozen concentrate (non diluted)
4th back sweeten
5th If you can get your hands on (Divinci) pineapple syrup will help
Mine came out like pineapple juice with a slight kick.

Back from vacation to Bonaire netherlands Antilles great trip but when I returned was very disappointed with my Pineapple.999sg and my orange wine.1016 sg. both were sour and very bitter. The pineapple was bitter too and had very little flavor , the orange had more natural flavor but tasted more like grape fruit. I call it goat wine because only the goats will drink it. Can any thing be done to subdue the bitter flavor or should i toss it to the goats? I thought I would try pineapple because Tedeschi Vineyards in Maui Hawaii makes a pineapple wine called Maui Blanc which I like. But I have made two batches and failed on both attempts.

Use it to blend.

I have made Rhubarb Pineapple wine, and it's quite nice. The pineapple offset the tartness of the rhubarb. It was started together, not blended.

I would think a little of it would blend nicely with many other fruits.

Debbie

I made my first attempt with home made fruit wine was a pineapple peach wine. I processed the pineapple in my juicer, adding the juice and the pulp into a container. I added the crushed peach juice to the blend along with K-sorb. I left this in the frig for three days. After straining out the pulp, I brought up to 2 gallons with a can of white wine juice concentrate bought at the grocery. I added water and activated yeast (yeast in orange juice with yeast nutrient) up to the two gallon mark. Oh yes, I added enough sugar to bring the brix up to 1.080. This all went into the fermentor along with an air lock. I stirred twice per day for about a week. The SG dropped to .990. I put the wine in a carboy for several weeks followed by stabilization. I racked off into another carboy for another month. Well sorry folks.... I could not keep from trying it. I racked again and bottled. I was very pleased with the taste, being light and dry. It was very much like a dry white wine with a very slight hint of fruit flavor. I don't usually drink sweet wine. Like I said, I bottled the wine. I know rushed the process. The wine does have a bit of a off smell, but the taste is nice. I figure next time I will let the wine sit in the carboy longer and extend the bottle time also. What the heck, I gave it a test drive and it had a nice kick.

Strawberries are in here in North Carolina. I'm looking forward to my next fruit wine. I'll be going for six gallons this time. Two gallons just was not enough.

Happy winemaking,

Paul

Last edited:
i've always felt that it should be possible to make a good pineapple wine. back about thirty years ago was on vacation in hawaii and this vineyard had just started making pineapple wine. i bought two bottles... long story made short it was the nastiest worst tasteing wine i've ever had.... it not only was so bitter but had a foul nasty taste i can't really describe except i'm sure to pick a nice cat treat out of the litter box and sucking on it would have to be better. this has always put me off even trying to make a pineapple wine... sounds like most here have had as much luck with their own.
mike

tom can attest to this we have a winemaker in our group who makes a very taste pineapple most of the time ,if made wright its quit refreshing,really...:rdo

I guess pineapple is not a slam dunk. All the more reason to take on the challenge. I would have a great sense of accomplishment if I were able to produce a good Pineapple wine, and probably learn a few things about wine making. Im up for trying again. maybe a group of us could start a few one gallon batches at the same time Guided by Our Master Pineapple wine maker:b:b:b:b:try

yes like most wine making,trial and error till you get it wright........berries are more my speed.......:try

Lloyd, i would be interested in what you are proposing. Where I live, pineapple is very inexpensive and being so good, it's hard to believe that it is marginally so bad. I do believe that some good pineapple wine could be made if it was sweet but I am intersted in dry to semi dry. I think that is where the problem lies.

Iv'e been thinking that coring and being sure you get almost all of the rind off might be as important as removing all the white from your oranges when you make orange wine. I also think that leaving the pulp in for no more than 3 or 4 days might be a good move also.

I have a pinapple made from Dole's (a what's there to ferment kinda day). It tastes like candied pinapple, so it's rather sweet but good.

My pineapple wine was also made from canned pineapples and I can add to the sentiments above it was just soso.
Not bad but not excellent.

Plan to do a new one with fresh pineapples when the season is there.

Luc

Back