Pineapple Wine not clearing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claywine12204

Reaction score
So I made my third batch of dragon blood wine with a variation. I followed the recipe pretty much to a T except I used tropical fruit and pineapples. I've already added the Potassium Metabisulfite, Potassium Sorbate and sparkaloid and it was almost clear prior to back sweetening.

Because the pineapple taste was very subtle I decided to back sweeten with sugar and 3 cans of pineapple concentrate. I racked about 4 times and the last racking had very little sediment so the cloudiness seems to be more from the thick concentrate. It's been several weeks and it still looks very thick. What should I do or did I mess it up? It tastes great, but looks very thick now.

I would add some pectic enzyme to it along with some tannin.

It would be better to add one of the newer pectic enzymes like Lallzyme C-Max because it is more efficient at clearing. But if you don't have it, you can use regular pectic enzyme. Because this is a very pulpy fruit, use 1 tsp of pectic enzyme per gallon and use 1/4 tsp of tannin per gallon. This might need to sit and clarify for a couple months, so be patient with it. Be sure the wine isn't sitting in a cold place. Coolness seems to retard the wine from clearing. About 70 degrees or so is better.

The pectic should work. Had a banana wine that was giving me trouble. I was able to bottle it within 2 months of adding pectic. It did sit for about 9 months before I added it.

I agree. Dose it with pectic enzyme. I had to double dose my Pineapple, Mango, Lime wine as it remained very hazy. Once I added the second dose. It pretty much cleared up within a week. Now it's crystal clear.

I added pectic at the very beginning prior to the yeast, but adding it again is ok? How much should I use for a 3 gallon batch?

I just had a lemon/lime SP that took FOREVER (6 mo.) to clear. Added more Peptic and waited it out. Just bottled it last week. It was crystal clear.

I would add 1 tsp. See how it responds for about 1 month. Then add another if it appears needed.

Last edited:
I added pectic at the very beginning prior to the yeast, but adding it again is ok? How much should I use for a 3 gallon batch?

I just re-dosed it with about 3/4 of a full dose.

I also just found this. I added the full text of the paragraph due to what is said towards the end noting that it might not be true. Anyhow. It's possible that if you added the k-meta it could affect the pectin enzyme.

According to Alison Crowe in The Winemaker’s Answer Book you should not add pectic enzymes within 12 hours of adding sulfur dioxide or bentonite. The sulfur dioxide can reduce the effectiveness of the enzymes. Depending upon your wine making references the jury is still out on whether or not this is true. Some wine makers believe that there are no problems when adding both at the same time. Personally, I trust Ms. Crowe and will heed her warnings until I am convinced it is safe.

Latest posts

Back