Pineapple Problems?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dsmith

Junior
Reaction score
Hello, Again...
My pineapple wine, I used a generic 100% pineapple juice,
Lalvin D-47 yeast and OG of 1.084. After 4 days, yes 4, it went to SG .994. I racked it into a carboy and 3 days later had 1 inch of white sediment in the bottom. So I checked it again. SG .994 still and i racked it again. 2 hours later about an inch of sediment is forming again... had a sulphur smell, any thoughts?

Hello, Again...
Lalvin D-47 yeast and OG of 1.084. After 4 days, yes 4, it went to SG .994. I racked it into a carboy and 3 days later had 1 inch of white sediment in the bottom. So I checked it again. SG .994 still and i racked it again. 2 hours later about an inch of sediment is forming again... had a sulphur smell, any thoughts?
How big of a batch is this? I've had a couple batches of Dragon Blood that fermented dry in less than a week so it does happen. The fact that sediment is dropping would suggest that it truly is done fermenting. If it's developing a bit of a sulfur smell, I would degass it thoroughly. Pineapple, lime and lemon can tend to give you a bit of a different smell...not quite sulfur-y but different...until you get the gas released.

In my experience, one gallon batches can ferment quite quickly. We're you planning to use a fining agent or let it clear on its own? Is the sulfur smell really strong? And has it gotten worse?
The smell is way less now that it's off the sediment. I dont have any finning agents so I was gonna let it sit and age.

The smell is way less now that it's off the sediment. I dont have any finning agents so I was gonna let it sit and age.

I would say just keep an eye on it then. Sometimes it might take a day or two after degassing and/or racking for the smell to fully dissipate. I've had a wine start to smell a bit like sulfur but, knock on wood, it's always gone away with degassing or racking or both.

* the biggest determinant in how fast a fermentation runs is temperature. For future batches you may want to find a cooler spot in a basement or ice packs or a dorm fridge to ferment in. Testing a 90F incubator set up I have finished a fermentation in a day and a half
* high temperature/ fast growing yeast has higher nutrient demand. The yeast will scavenge nitrogen (other?) from dead yeast and release sulphur odors. When I have run fast and hot the sulphur went away by the time it was bottled
* lees are interesting, have not tried pineapple. I am reminded of the saying that patience is important. Would they condense more with more time?
In judging country wines at state fair I have observed that acetaldehyde (oxidation) is in a little more than half the samples, floating gunk is in roughly one in ten. ,,,, Oxidation seems to be a bigger risk than clarification.

Hello, Again...
I just racked into a secondary a Banana/Pineapple and it tastes TERRIBLE! Will time alter this "yugky" taste? No bad smell, color slightly cloudy, but that taste!!.....Any thoughts/suggestions? Note: this is the ferment that I spoke of that looked like dirty dishwater initially.............................Dizzy

I just racked into a secondary a Banana/Pineapple and it tastes TERRIBLE! Will time alter this "yugky" taste? No bad smell, color slightly cloudy, but that taste!!.....Any thoughts/suggestions? Note: this is the ferment that I spoke of that looked like dirty dishwater initially.............................Dizzy
My pineapple appears to be clearing, I use the term loosely. The top 2 inches has some clarity and it gets murky towards the bottom. There is 3/4 inch of white sediment on the bottom. If I move it the sediment acts as another liquid inside the wine. It's not as oil and water but you can tell its definitely a heavier substance than the water. Its literally a week old so its got some living to do. I'll update with pictures as it goes.

Latest posts

Back