Other Pick my next white wine (poll)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Next white wine

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dwerth

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am looking to crowd source the decision on my next white kit wine. I enjoy each of these varietals, and thought that I would leave it up to the WMT hive mind to determine which of these I pick for the next white wine I make. Or, if there is a consensus in the comments I will go for that.
Also I was just testing the poll system, since I had not used it before.

Looking at the voting so far, it is interesting to me that 52% are choosing viognier.
I see why @winemaker81 and @Jan did, but I am curious as to why others did? Is it not a kit/varietal you have done before?
Thanks to all who have participated thus far.

Personally, I wouldn't pick any of the three options. I don't care for these lower ends kits and would opt for a FWK Riesling or En Primeur White Trio instead. But, if these were the only options....Riesling as CRU is a higher quality kit IMO
And that is a perfectly valid point I believe. I have been impressed with the one FWK Pinot I am working on.

My vote is for the Riesling. Pinot Grigio would be my second choice and Viognier a distant third. Just don't like the taste of that wine.

When I make Riesling, I add a fruit pack of Granny Smith (green) apples. I was stationed in Germany when I was in the Army and I remember this variety very fondly. The wine always seemed to have a green apple background. That was a great time. It was 4 Marks 20 Pfennig to the dollar and a bottle of wine in a local store was about 2 Marks, i.e. less than 50 cents.

Hard liquor was a great buy also. In the Class VI store (Army liquor store), the most expensive bottles of liquor were Chivas Regal scotch and Hennessy Bras Arme cognac both $3.75 a fifth. I could buy 5 bottles of liquor a month and so could my wife.

If I didn't already have Riesling somewhere in the chain of production, I would choose Riesling. Otherwise I would choose Viognier, because I've never had it. Having said that, I looked the wine up before I posted this reply. I think I would do the Viognier. I already voted though, so I'm committed to the Riesling.

P Grigio is one of my 3 go to varieties, the others being Sauv Blanc (oaked) and Ch Blanc. I will have to explore Viognier-I made one Viognier kit but wasn't particuarly impressed. I should like the variety since it is a Rhône variety and I love the reds and rosés of the Rhône

Also I was just testing the poll system, since I had not used it before.
As someone with not a little bit of statistical education, I can only say that online poll systems are really for fun and entertainment value only. :cool:

Which is completely fine for "decision making", within those limits. Hope this helps.

As someone with not a little bit of statistical education, I can only say that online poll systems are really for fun and entertainment value only. :cool:

Which is completely fine for "decision making", within those limits. Hope this helps.
Oh yes, I am having quite a bit of fun with this poll. I will also have fun making and drinking the wine that is chosen :)

Well, life gets in the way sometimes, so it took until today (4/24) to pitch the yeast on my Viognier.
It is a WinExpert classic kit, so it is nothing fancy.
Not a terribly common grape variety, but the few bottles I have had in the past have been decent. I am hoping to mimic that level of quality (decent, nothing earth shattering) with this kit.

Thanks for all who voted.

Latest posts

Back