Ph too low

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdelli

Reaction score
I have a batch of Pinot Noir made from juice that I thought I was getting fancy to raise the acid level before fermentation...... After primary fermentation I tried mlf but that didn't go so good because the ph was barely at 3.00.... So then I put it through a month of cold stabilization... Ph still at about 2.90 and way too tart! So...... Anyone ever fool with Pot carb? I just ordered some but never had to use it.... The batch is in a 6 gallon carboy... I am thinking to start with a teaspoon and see how it goes....

Sam

I have a batch of Pinot Noir made from juice that I thought I was getting fancy to raise the acid level before fermentation...... After primary fermentation I tried mlf but that didn't go so good because the ph was barely at 3.00.... So then I put it through a month of cold stabilization... Ph still at about 2.90 and way too tart! So...... Anyone ever fool with Pot carb? I just ordered some but never had to use it.... The batch is in a 6 gallon carboy... I am thinking to start with a teaspoon and see how it goes....

Sam

A couple of things..

1) Do not simply add it to your carboy or you will have a volcano on your hands. It reacts just like baking soda and vinegar.

2) it is really only to be used for extreme situations (ph below 3.0 and a TA above 1.0gpl). I believe you qualify.

3) There is a limit to how much you should use.. You should not reduce your acid by more than .3 gpl.

Hi Sam. I've used the Potassium carb in a few of my wines to bring the PH up.I like to be between 3.3-3.5. When you receive your P C it should show a dosage on the pkg. but I would use small amounts at a time ,ie 1/2 tsp. and take readings after each addition. As JohnT mentioned mix it 1st with some water before adding.

I usual do a sample run on about one liter. I believe the instruction's are based on a per liter quantity. abide by the limit above.

So if I do a sample run... How long will it take before I can do a retest to see the results?

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

In theory, only a couple of minutes (if you stir). I would give it an hour or so just to make sure the reaction is complete.

Thanks! I will post the results.

In the future you either want to reduce the acid pre-ferment or use a yeast that will metabolize some of the malic acid. I had good luck with 71B this year which can eat up to 20% or so of the Malic. Maurivin b can reduce the malic by 50% or more.

For MLF with low pH you are limited in bacteria. MB 31 is what I used. It says it can tolerate 3.1 and it worked fine on my must that started at 3.0 before the 71b fermentation.

In the future you either want to reduce the acid pre-ferment or use a yeast that will metabolize some of the malic acid. I had good luck with 71B this year which can eat up to 20% or so of the Malic. Maurivin b can reduce the malic by 50% or more.

For MLF with low pH you are limited in bacteria. MB 31 is what I used. It says it can tolerate 3.1 and it worked fine on my must that started at 3.0 before the 71b fermentation.

Ya.... Like I said in my initial post. I thought I was getting fancy by making adjustments prior to fermentation.... But it took it down too low.

Sam

Ya.... Like I said in my initial post. I thought I was getting fancy by making adjustments prior to fermentation.... But it took it down too low.

Sam

Ah! You added acid prior to fermentation! I didn't see any details of that in your initial post. I thought you were trying to raise the pH through MLF.

Well tonight I did an adjustment..... Starting ph was 2.86. I added 20 grams of Pot. Carb. To the 6 gallon carboy. Waited 20 min and tested... Ph is now 3.16..... I added another 20 grams of Pot. Carb. Waited an hour..... The ph is now 3.43.... I will let it set until the weekend and do a full scope test since the so2 will probably need to be raised now. But, it seems to have worked very well! Each time it gave the same result. 20 grams raised the ph level by .30

Sam

Tonight I did a full test on this Pinot Noir. Ph=3.40 TA=7.0 SO2=16
Added 1 gram of kmeta and it looks like the Pot. Carb did the trick!

Sam

That it's pretty perfect for a pinot noir.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Wine Making mobile app

Two weeks later... Racked the Pinot to an American Oak barrel for a little time... Then it goes into a Hungarian for a few months... Ph holdind at 3.35 . Lot's of acid fell out in fhe 55 degree wine cellar!
ImageUploadedByWine Making1396196916.221641.jpg
ImageUploadedByWine Making1396196926.084161.jpg

I'm making a cider that ended up with to low pH. Has anybody tried sodium bicarbonate to get it to rise a bit?

Back